From: Malcolm on
I need to count text cells that contain the letter S and the text C/O. Can
this be done. By the way this would be two different total cells, one for "S"
and one for "C/O".

Thanks in advance
From: Dave Peterson on
=countif(a:a,"s")
(in any cell not in column A)

Will return the number of cells in column A that contain S (that single
character).

=countif(b1:B99,"c/o")
Will return the number of cells in B1:B99 that contain c/o.

--

Dave Peterson
From: FSt1 on
hi
asuming that the data is in column A......
=COUNTIF(A2:A15,"*s*")
and
=COUNTIF(A2:A15,"*C/O*")
the above uses the wild card character * in case you have more in the cell
than s or C/O. if not then you don' need the wild card characters.

and you said " Average a column " in the subject so.......
=COUNTIF(A2:A15,"*s*")/COUNTA(A2:A15)

regards
FSt1

From: Malcolm on
FSt1, Hi,
I'm sorry, I should have given more details. I'm actually looking for the
totals from 2 columns. Let's say column B from B4:B22 and H4:H21, when I
tried your formula it returned the "you have entered too many arguements for
this function" message. Because I entered the formula
=COUNTIF(B4:B22,H4:H21,"*s*")
So I'm looking for the total number of times "S" appears in the 2 columns
for one total, and the total number of times "C/O" appears in the same two
columns for the 2nd. total. There is nothing in the cells except for the
letter S or the text C/O. By the way I'm using Excel 2007.

Thanks again

From: FSt1 on
hi
yes that would be too many arguments. so.... do it this way.

=COUNTIF(B4:22,"s")+COUNTIF(H4:H21,"s")

sometimes you just have to play head games with excel.

regards
FSt1

"Malcolm" wrote:

> FSt1, Hi,
> I'm sorry, I should have given more details. I'm actually looking for the
> totals from 2 columns. Let's say column B from B4:B22 and H4:H21, when I
> tried your formula it returned the "you have entered too many arguements for
> this function" message. Because I entered the formula
> =COUNTIF(B4:B22,H4:H21,"*s*")
> So I'm looking for the total number of times "S" appears in the 2 columns
> for one total, and the total number of times "C/O" appears in the same two
> columns for the 2nd. total. There is nothing in the cells except for the
> letter S or the text C/O. By the way I'm using Excel 2007.
>
> Thanks again
>

> "FSt1" wrote:
>
> > hi
> > asuming that the data is in column A......
> > =COUNTIF(A2:A15,"*s*")
> > and
> > =COUNTIF(A2:A15,"*C/O*")
> > the above uses the wild card character * in case you have more in the cell
> > than s or C/O. if not then you don' need the wild card characters.
> >
> > and you said " Average a column " in the subject so.......
> > =COUNTIF(A2:A15,"*s*")/COUNTA(A2:A15)
> >
> > regards
> > FSt1
> >

> > "Malcolm" wrote:
> >
> > > I need to count text cells that contain the letter S and the text C/O. Can
> > > this be done. By the way this would be two different total cells, one for "S"
> > > and one for "C/O".
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2