From: oparr on
Anyone familiar with this or 4013DDS? Normally, one can read the
manual for a product before buyng to get a pretty good idea of what it
can do but in this case the manual is far from being comprehensive;

http://www.bkprecision.com/products/docs/manuals/4007DDS_manual.pdf

I'm used to range confining function generators that prevent you from
manually "sweeping" from say 10Hz to 400KHz in one go. The 4007DDS
manual says the following but doesn't elaborate any further;

"It provides sine & square wave outputs over the frequency range from
0.1 Hz to 7 MHz in one
extended range (triangle/ramped wave outputs to 100KHz)."

Am I to assume that I can now set a square wave range with start/stop
frequencies of say 10Hz/400KHz then either manually "sweep" or program
sweeps from 10Hz to 400KHz with this puppy?

Thanks! (I'll call B&K next)

From: Jamie on
oparr(a)hotmail.com wrote:
> Anyone familiar with this or 4013DDS? Normally, one can read the
> manual for a product before buyng to get a pretty good idea of what it
> can do but in this case the manual is far from being comprehensive;
>
> http://www.bkprecision.com/products/docs/manuals/4007DDS_manual.pdf
>
> I'm used to range confining function generators that prevent you from
> manually "sweeping" from say 10Hz to 400KHz in one go. The 4007DDS
> manual says the following but doesn't elaborate any further;
>
> "It provides sine & square wave outputs over the frequency range from
> 0.1 Hz to 7 MHz in one
> extended range (triangle/ramped wave outputs to 100KHz)."
>
> Am I to assume that I can now set a square wave range with start/stop
> frequencies of say 10Hz/400KHz then either manually "sweep" or program
> sweeps from 10Hz to 400KHz with this puppy?
>
> Thanks! (I'll call B&K next)

Yes. That is what a sweep function generator does.

You should be able to sweep the whole range if you wish.

I just looked at where I bought my Regal function generator recently,
and it seems it's no longer made. To bad, because its a nice one that
got replaced by a 40/25 Mhz version. How ever, these have arbitrary
functions in them that allows you to design your own wave forms and has
USB host for drive stick etc.

I paid $450 for mine. It would of been a much better deal if they
still had some.

The replacement units now cost under $1k.

From: oparr on
>Yes. That is what a sweep function generator does.
>You should be able to sweep the whole range if you wish.

Thanks! I see sweep function generators with range switches and you
can only manually operate within each range at a time. This is what
I'm trying to avoid since that would be no different to the function
generator I'm now using. Are you saying that in such cases the
programmable sweep range would not be limited to these ranges?

On Sep 13, 3:36 pm, Jamie

From: Jamie on
oparr(a)hotmail.com wrote:

>>Yes. That is what a sweep function generator does.
>>You should be able to sweep the whole range if you wish.
>

> Thanks! I see sweep function generators with range switches and you
> can only manually operate within each range at a time. This is what
> I'm trying to avoid since that would be no different to the function
> generator I'm now using. Are you saying that in such cases the
> programmable sweep range would not be limited to these ranges?
>
> On Sep 13, 3:36 pm, Jamie
> <jamie_ka1lpa_not_valid_after_ka1l...(a)charter.net> wrote:

DDS technology is a synthesis of the frequency, little is
done as for as, RC type of circuits being switch in/out over the
range. Your range seems to be minor in demand.

This is digitally done, so there is not reason why it can't be done.
I've never tried that with mine because I don't need that wide of a
sweep how ever, I know that I can put in any start and any end I want
, up to the limits of the unit, which 20 mhz.

From: George Herold on
On Sep 13, 2:45 pm, "op...(a)hotmail.com" <op...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone familiar with this or 4013DDS? Normally, one can read the
> manual for a product before buyng to get a pretty good idea of what it
> can do but in this case the manual is far from being comprehensive;
>
> http://www.bkprecision.com/products/docs/manuals/4007DDS_manual.pdf
>
> I'm used to range confining function generators that prevent you from
> manually "sweeping" from say 10Hz to 400KHz in one go. The 4007DDS
> manual says the following but doesn't elaborate any further;
>
> "It provides sine & square wave outputs over the frequency range from
> 0.1 Hz to 7 MHz in one
> extended range (triangle/ramped wave outputs to 100KHz)."
>
> Am I to assume that I can now set a square wave range with start/stop
> frequencies of say 10Hz/400KHz then either manually "sweep" or program
> sweeps from 10Hz to 400KHz with this puppy?
>
> Thanks! (I'll call B&K next)

I needed a frequency generator that had sub Hz resolution. We bought
this cheap one from protek and I really like it. The manual also
stinks.

George H.