From: Swifty on
On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 15:04:17 +0200, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn
<PointedEars(a)web.de> wrote:

>at <http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/> (where your
><http://news.bbc.co.uk/> redirects to) here.

Aha! That was the vital clue. Thank you.

I was trying to style news.bbc.co.uk but in their redesign, they
redirected me to www.bbc.co.uk/news/

Once I started applying my CSS override to the right site, parts of it
started working. I didn't manage to expand the with of that main DIV,
but I did manage to reduce the font-size of the links in the menu, so
that was all I needed.

--
Steve Swift
http://www.swiftys.org.uk/swifty.html
From: dorayme on
In article <1r5g46944qebm7eur6cr45r72bcuj1ko87(a)4ax.com>,
Swifty <steve.j.swift(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 10:02:08 +0200, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn
> <PointedEars(a)web.de> wrote:
>
> >> Problem: The "Home ... Arts" menu bar wraps onto two lines
> >
> >I do not see "Arts" there.
>
> The BBC must be censoring your ability to see the "Entertainment and
> Arts" menu item/section of the website.
>
> Probably a fit of pique for having beaten us in the football (so I
> heard).

Well, there is no "Arts" showing here either and we regularly
thrash you at almost every sport.

What a dreadful abortion is this BBC site. The developer seems
not to understand the simplest things.

--
dorayme
From: Swifty on
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 08:30:09 +1000, dorayme <dorayme(a)optusnet.com.au>
wrote:

> The developer seems not to understand the simplest things.

They may not understand the simplest things (that's my forte) but they
understand enough about the harder parts to baffle me.

From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
Swifty wrote:

> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>> at <http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/> (where your
>> <http://news.bbc.co.uk/> redirects to) here.
>
> Aha! That was the vital clue. Thank you.

You're welcome.

> I was trying to style news.bbc.co.uk but in their redesign, they
> redirected me to www.bbc.co.uk/news/
>
> Once I started applying my CSS override to the right site, parts of it
> started working. I didn't manage to expand the with of that main DIV,

#blq-main has an absolute `min-width' and #content-wrapper has an absolute
`width' declared, and they are related `#blq-main #content-wrapper'.
Further, #full-width, #now, #best, #related-services, #news-services,
#news-related-services, #blq-mast, #blq-foot, and
#personalisation-panel-auto-suggest all have an absolute `width' declared.
(It really cannot get much worse than that.)

HTH

PointedEars
-- Richard Cornford, cljs, <cife6q$253$1$8300dec7(a)news.demon.co.uk> (2004)