From: HeyBub on
Randem wrote:
> See if there is a BIOS update for your model and apply that.
>
> BTW: What is a MG? Are you meaning MB or GB?

Milligrams

From: AAH on
Randem
Sorry it is GB

--
The Top Script Generator for Jordan Russell's Inno Setup -
http://www.randem.com/innoscript.html

From: AAH on
Paul
The disk is:-
MAXTOR STM 380215A

"Paul" <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote in message
AAH wrote:
> OS: WindowsXP Pro Ver2002 SP2
> On an old computer the AMIBIOS Hiflex
> Setup Utility Version 1.23(1999 American
> Megatrennds) under AUTO
> showing the capacity of hd 74.5 MG
> as an 33.83 MG.
> Will there be a problem to divide this 74.5MG
> into TWO partitions C: and D: whereas the
> capacity of 74.5 under Auto is still 33.83MG.
> I thought under AUTO it should show the
> correct capacity of 74.5 MG?
>
> Any advice is appreciated?

If you tell us the brand and model number of disk drive,
we can tell you how to remove the "clip" 33GB jumper you've
installed on the hard drive. It is preventing the
full capacity of the disk from showing up.

There is a second possibility. If your motherboard is
old enough, it might not support large hard drives.

http://rma.asus.de/support/FAQ/faq076_32gb_ide_hdd.htm

http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm

"and has a fix for the 32GB IDE harddisk limit
to support drives up to 128GB"

I don't have any motherboards that old, and those links
are just a few examples I've run into in the past.

Paul

From: AAH on
Paul

This computer was manufactured about
9/10 years ago for Windows 98SE just
before the WinMe appearance.
The motherboard should be ok?

From: Paul on
AAH wrote:
> Paul
> The disk is:-
> MAXTOR STM 380215A

PDF page 31 here, shows no jumper for "clipping" the capacity. Notice they're
only using the leftmost two jumper positions. In some cases, you'd expect
the third jumper position to be the "clip" jumper (i.e. pins 3 and 4).
At least, make sure any jumpers you are using, are in the leftmost two positions.
Jumper leftmost is master. No jumpers is slave. Jumper second from left
is Cable Select. Inserting a second jumper, on pins 3 and 4, in addition
to any other jumpers, might clip the capacity to 33GB, but the manual
does not confirm that function in this case.

http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/support/disc/manuals/maxtor/100435213b.pdf

As for your motherboard, I have a motherboard from roughly the same
year, and it has a 128GB limit. And I only got the max value that
high, after a BIOS update. The problem could be related to the
BIOS and the era of the motherboard. I thought the motherboard might
not start properly, if a too-big drive was connected ? I don't know
the answer to that, as to what symptoms to expect if the motherboard
doesn't support big drives.

Paul