From: AAH on

OS: WindowsXP Pro Ver2002 SP2
On an old computer the AMIBIOS Hiflex
Setup Utility Version 1.23(1999 American
Megatrennds) under AUTO
showing the capacity of hd 74.5 MG
as an 33.83 MG.
Will there be a problem to divide this 74.5MG
into TWO partitions C: and D: whereas the
capacity of 74.5 under Auto is still 33.83MG.
I thought under AUTO it should show the
correct capacity of 74.5 MG?

Any advice is appreciated?

From: Randem on
See if there is a BIOS update for your model and apply that.

BTW: What is a MG? Are you meaning MB or GB?
--
The Top Script Generator for Jordan Russell's Inno Setup -
http://www.randem.com/innoscript.html

From: Pegasus [MVP] on

"AAH" <aah(a)chakcomnet.net> wrote in message

> OS: WindowsXP Pro Ver2002 SP2
> On an old computer the AMIBIOS Hiflex
> Setup Utility Version 1.23(1999 American
> Megatrennds) under AUTO
> showing the capacity of hd 74.5 MG
> as an 33.83 MG.
> Will there be a problem to divide this 74.5MG
> into TWO partitions C: and D: whereas the
> capacity of 74.5 under Auto is still 33.83MG.
> I thought under AUTO it should show the
> correct capacity of 74.5 MG?
>
> Any advice is appreciated?

I suspect you have your hard disk jumpers set so that the visible capacity
is limited to 32 GBytes. And as Randem observed, there is no unit called
"MG". You most likely mean GB (Gigabytes).

From: Bill in Co on
AAH wrote:
> OS: WindowsXP Pro Ver2002 SP2
> On an old computer the AMIBIOS Hiflex
> Setup Utility Version 1.23(1999 American
> Megatrennds) under AUTO
> showing the capacity of hd 74.5 MG
> as an 33.83 MG.
> Will there be a problem to divide this 74.5MG
> into TWO partitions C: and D: whereas the
> capacity of 74.5 under Auto is still 33.83MG.
> I thought under AUTO it should show the
> correct capacity of 74.5 MG?
>
> Any advice is appreciated?

I assume you mean GB (gigabyte) above.
With a BIOS that old, I believe you are limited in the disk capacity for a
single partition, if not the whole disk. You might be able to update your
BIOS to allow for larger sizes, but updating the BIOS is a somewhat risky
procedure.

If you ever decide to split a HD into smaller partitions, without using a
third party app (like Partition Magic, or Easeus Partition Manager), you may
lose your existing data on that partition, so keep that in mind.

From: Paul on
AAH wrote:
> OS: WindowsXP Pro Ver2002 SP2
> On an old computer the AMIBIOS Hiflex
> Setup Utility Version 1.23(1999 American
> Megatrennds) under AUTO
> showing the capacity of hd 74.5 MG
> as an 33.83 MG.
> Will there be a problem to divide this 74.5MG
> into TWO partitions C: and D: whereas the
> capacity of 74.5 under Auto is still 33.83MG.
> I thought under AUTO it should show the
> correct capacity of 74.5 MG?
>
> Any advice is appreciated?

If you tell us the brand and model number of disk drive,
we can tell you how to remove the "clip" 33GB jumper you've
installed on the hard drive. It is preventing the
full capacity of the disk from showing up.

There is a second possibility. If your motherboard is
old enough, it might not support large hard drives.

http://rma.asus.de/support/FAQ/faq076_32gb_ide_hdd.htm

http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm

"and has a fix for the 32GB IDE harddisk limit
to support drives up to 128GB"

I don't have any motherboards that old, and those links
are just a few examples I've run into in the past.

Paul