From: ShadowTek on
Are there any motherboard manufacturers that make some sort of BIOS
interface that blind users can utilize?
From: philo on
On 05/01/2010 06:29 PM, ShadowTek wrote:
> Are there any motherboard manufacturers that make some sort of BIOS
> interface that blind users can utilize?

there is a patent for it

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7308405.html

but I could not find one in existance
From: ShadowTek on
On 2010-05-02, philo <philo(a)privacy.invalid> wrote:

> there is a patent for it
>
> http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7308405.html
>

> but I could not find one in existance

That one only addresses accessability via audio output, which is of
little benefit to people with Ushers, who have both sight *and* hearing
loss.

Even so, I hope Mr. Rose follows through on his patent.

Now that we are well into the Information Age, with billions of people
on this planet, it seems a little odd that this basic need hasn't yet been
addressed by someone.

I guess I'm just impatient.
From: burt henry on
I have not heard of such, but please explain what you want to do.
What do you want from your BIOS?
Burt

From: J. P. Gilliver (John) on
In message <slrnhtpeao.o9c.ShadowTek(a)shadowtek.localdomain>, ShadowTek
<ShadowTek(a)invalid.invalid> writes:
>Are there any motherboard manufacturers that make some sort of BIOS
>interface that blind users can utilize?

(I've glanced at the Rose patent mentioned later in the thread. I, too,
hope something comes of it - though the flowchart figure 2 has a
possible error in it - it still seeds to address "the synthesizer" even
if one is not present.)

The idea of an accessible BIOS, which is still a VH "add-on" for
something that is visually-designed, set me thinking: what would a
computer designed _from the start_ for unsighted people look like:
probably different in shape. Then I thought, I suppose all the
"note-takers" and so on answer that question. But do any of them have an
accessible BIOS, or do they still have to be connected to a monitor to
access that?

Is there a pretty common operating system for the unsighted (like
Windows, Linux, or MAC are for sighted - I know all of these have some
level of accessibility, but they're visual to start with), or do all the
note-taker manufacturers "go their own way"?
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G.5AL-IS-P--Ch++(p)Ar(a)T0H+Sh0!:`)DNAf
** http://www.soft255.demon.co.uk/G6JPG-PC/JPGminPC.htm for ludicrously

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the God who endowed me with sense,
reason, and intellect intends me to forego their use". - Gallileo Gallilei