From: Alan Cox on
On Wed, 5 May 2010 00:33:39 +0200
Arnd Bergmann <arnd(a)arndb.de> wrote:

> This is the second attempt to get the BKL out of the
> TTY code. I've updated the patches to be based on top
> of Alan's series and improved a number of things.

I've updated the patches I first sent out with the fixes for the problems
you found and send out a new set.

From: Arnd Bergmann on
On Wednesday 05 May 2010, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Wed, 5 May 2010 00:33:39 +0200
> Arnd Bergmann <arnd(a)arndb.de> wrote:
>
> > This is the second attempt to get the BKL out of the
> > TTY code. I've updated the patches to be based on top
> > of Alan's series and improved a number of things.
>
> I've updated the patches I first sent out with the fixes for the problems
> you found and send out a new set.

Ok, I've rebased my patches on top of those now and pushed to
git.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/arnd/playground.git#bkl/tty,
minus my patch 13/13, which I already mentioned was broken.

Arnd
From: Alan Cox on
On Sat, 15 May 2010 22:59:46 +0200
Arnd Bergmann <arnd(a)arndb.de> wrote:

> This is the third attempt to get the BKL out of the
> TTY code. This version goes much further than the
> previous one, and eliminates most of the code I
> had introduced there.

At this point I think the only way to make further progress is to
actually push this stuff into the kernel on top of the BKL removal
patches for the drivers and see what happens. Something will no doubt
break but we can try and nail them in time or if not revert the series
and try again next kernel.

The big nasty remaining after this is drivers/serial, which probably
wants some serious reconstructive surgery to use kfifo etc. Either way
its an independent problem to the stuff this lot tackles.

So this series

Acked-by: Alan Cox <alan(a)linux.intel.com>

Alan
From: Greg KH on
On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 02:41:30PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Sat, 15 May 2010 22:59:46 +0200
> Arnd Bergmann <arnd(a)arndb.de> wrote:
>
> > This is the third attempt to get the BKL out of the
> > TTY code. This version goes much further than the
> > previous one, and eliminates most of the code I
> > had introduced there.
>
> At this point I think the only way to make further progress is to
> actually push this stuff into the kernel on top of the BKL removal
> patches for the drivers and see what happens. Something will no doubt
> break but we can try and nail them in time or if not revert the series
> and try again next kernel.
>
> The big nasty remaining after this is drivers/serial, which probably
> wants some serious reconstructive surgery to use kfifo etc. Either way
> its an independent problem to the stuff this lot tackles.
>
> So this series
>
> Acked-by: Alan Cox <alan(a)linux.intel.com>

I'd prefer to do this for .36, not for .35. Arnd, I'll be glad to queue
these patches up to the tty development tree after .35-rc1 is out, so it
gets lots of testing in the linux-next tree, is that ok? If so, can you
resend them to me at that time?

thanks,

greg k-h
From: Arnd Bergmann on
On Monday 17 May 2010, Greg KH wrote:

> I'd prefer to do this for .36, not for .35. Arnd, I'll be glad to queue
> these patches up to the tty development tree after .35-rc1 is out, so it
> gets lots of testing in the linux-next tree, is that ok? If so, can you
> resend them to me at that time?

Ok, I'll make sure it still works with .35-rc1 when it's out and add
Alan's ACK, then send a you a pull request. Did you already merge the
series from Alan that this is based on, or do you want those patches
to wait as well? They are in my git tree, so they will be included
in my pull request if they are not in -rc1.

Also, it would be nice if you could merge the first patch of my
series, which should be completely harmless (it just renames
function calls) but having it upstream means that we can
keep the remaining patches that are required for BKL-less
kernels a lot smaller.

Arnd