From: Gabor on
On Feb 19, 5:24 am, "bh.ines1...(a)gmail.com" <bh.ines1...(a)gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Feb 18, 7:48 pm, austin <aus...(a)xilinx.com> wrote:
>
> > Gabor,
>
> > Using BRAM blocks as 'look up tables' for logic is a way to pack more
> > "stuff" into the design, so, yes, the BRAMs are only "unused" until
> > you then use them for this purpose (the English language is probably
> > one of the worst languages for describing technical stuff, except for
> > all the others).
>
> > That is a fairly arcane use of the BRAM blocks, and it would be
> > interesting to know how often folks do this,
>
> > Austin
>
> Hi,
> Thank you (Austin and Gabor) for the answers.
> But is this error caused by the fact that the application software is
> big enough? I dont' think so cause the soft application is very
> simple, it just light the 8 LEDs.
> Also in the MHS file I put 16k for DLMB and 16k for the ILMB too!
> So I couldn'tt understand where the problem lies: in the design in
> hard or soft implementation!!
> I will be thankfull if you give me some help!!
>
> Best Regards,
> Ines

Block RAMs on Spartan 3 are 18Kb where "b" means bits. For
16KB, where "B" means bytes, you need 8 BRAMs. Your memory
for the MicroBlaze would therefore need 16 BRAMs. Add to that
any additional BRAMs you might use, for example FIFO's and
MIG cores. So the question is:

How many BRAM devices does your FPGA have?
How many BRAM's are shown in the Map report?
How many BRAM's from the Map report are not accounted for?

Regards,
Gabor

PS to Austin:
Arcane or not, the tools are supposed to be able to use extra
BRAM's for stuffing extra logic. I believe it is a bug if the
tools overmap BRAM's when I have no means to tell the tools
how many of the BRAM's it can use for logic. It doesn't seem
like rocket science for the tools to first allow for any
explicitly required BRAM's in the design before mapping logic
into the remaining "unused" ones.
From: Anssi Saari on
Gabor <gabor(a)alacron.com> writes:

> How many BRAM devices does your FPGA have?

That's easy to answer, the Spartan3 starter the OP mentioned has a
XC3S200, so 12 BRAMs. Not quite enough for 32 kB.

The answer to the original poster is, create your MicroBlaze design in
the EDK using the wizard and leave all settings at their defaults.
You'll get a system that actually *works* and you can play with.