From: geoar75 on
Hello,

I need to check the status of the BRI interfaces from all of the
routers on our network. I have to check it everyday to see which one
is active.
Is there any utility that performs such a task? Do I have to enable
SNMP on the routers and would the network performance be affected by
this move?

Thanks a lot!

Giorgos
From: alexd on
On 15/04/10 12:03, geoar75(a)gmail.com wrote:

> I need to check the status of the BRI interfaces from all of the
> routers on our network. I have to check it everyday to see which one
> is active.
> Is there any utility that performs such a task?

Yes. Any NMS worthy of the description should do this. As an example, I
use Zabbix to poll the ifOperStatus of interfaces I'm interested in.

> Do I have to enable SNMP on the routers and would the network performance be affected by
> this move?

You do not have to, as you could send remote syslog and have your syslog
server alert you when it sees an up/down message. However, SNMP is the
cross-platform standard way of doing this so will probably be easier.

As for performance, it's impossible to measure something without
affecting it, but so long as you're not polling every 5 seconds or
something silly like that you shouldn't notice. You can also have a
device send an SNMP 'trap' to inform you of the interface changing status.

And finally, for a higher-level overview of how things are working, you
can poll the next hop of a particular route with SNMP to see which way
traffic is flowing, although this may not apply to your network topology.

--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) (UnSoEsNpEaTm(a)ale.cx)
18:52:38 up 6 days, 8:04, 2 users, load average: 0.07, 0.17, 0.17
From: S. Checker on
bod43 <Bod43(a)hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

> MRTG can for sure do the job but I suspect that it
> is no longer in development (years ago now) and that
> you might be better investing your time in something else.

Strange comment. The latest release of MRTG is from 20-Jan-2010.

However, it's more a measurement tool than alerting. I measure traffic
on a whole pile of BRIs with it, but for notification there are a
number of SNMP tools, including your suggestion of Cacti.
--
Ceci n'est pas une sig.
From: bod43 on
On 22 Apr, 20:31, spam...(a)gmail.com (S. Checker) wrote:
> bod43 <Bo...(a)hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> > MRTG can for sure do the job but I suspect that it
> > is no longer in development (years ago now) and that
> > you might be better investing your time in something else.
>
> Strange comment. The latest release of MRTG is from 20-Jan-2010.

Hmm. Appears I was completely wrong. Sorry.

I recall looking at MRTG a few years ago and for some reason
decided that development had been stopped.
From: Rob on
geoar75(a)gmail.com <geoar75(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I mentioned MRTG, because I'm already using it on some of our routers
> to check the speed utilization. It would be great if I set it up to
> include the BRI interfaces as well. Though it will take lots of time
> and research to setup all those MIBs and OIDs, it would be very
> interesting.

Not at all, it only requires that you add the BRI interfaces to the
mrtg.cfg the same way you add all other interfaces.

Make sure you don't use the numerical interface number as that is
going to change.

Something like this will work:

Target[router.20]: \BRI1/0\:1:public(a)router
SetEnv[router.20]: MRTG_INT_IP="" MRTG_INT_DESCR="BRI1/0:1"
(plus the remainder of a normal entry in mrtg.cfg)

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: 3COM
Next: c1811 isr dual nat