From: Bolwerk on
Bolwerk wrote:
> Gene E. Bloch wrote:
>> Some motherboards require special Windows drivers (or at least that was
>> true for me a few years ago). You might have to check into that at the
>> manufacturer's site.
>>
>> As I recall, Windows provides an opportunity to install drivers during
>> installation of the OS - which might not be what you want to do. If there
>> are drivers needed, and if you're lucky, the manufacturer might tell you
>> how to install them without reinstalling Windows.
>
> Well, I've had some success. It's definitely a BIOS problem. I mass
> disabled some BIOS features. I'll see if I can isolate what the problem
> was and report back.

It looks like having Core Multi-Processing enabled in the BIOS was the
show-stopper for Windows. So I am able to get back into Windows again.

I'm still getting blue screens. They're much less frequent (every few
hours, instead of a few times an hour). I'm not sure what the culprit
is. It seems upgrading the video driver improved things, but daily
BSODs is still a bit much.

Anybody have any ideas? Memory?

Thanks!
From: Char Jackson on
On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 11:50:00 -0400, Bolwerk <bolwerk(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>Bolwerk wrote:
>> Gene E. Bloch wrote:
>>> Some motherboards require special Windows drivers (or at least that was
>>> true for me a few years ago). You might have to check into that at the
>>> manufacturer's site.
>>>
>>> As I recall, Windows provides an opportunity to install drivers during
>>> installation of the OS - which might not be what you want to do. If there
>>> are drivers needed, and if you're lucky, the manufacturer might tell you
>>> how to install them without reinstalling Windows.
>>
>> Well, I've had some success. It's definitely a BIOS problem. I mass
>> disabled some BIOS features. I'll see if I can isolate what the problem
>> was and report back.
>
>It looks like having Core Multi-Processing enabled in the BIOS was the
>show-stopper for Windows. So I am able to get back into Windows again.
>
>I'm still getting blue screens. They're much less frequent (every few
>hours, instead of a few times an hour). I'm not sure what the culprit
>is. It seems upgrading the video driver improved things, but daily
>BSODs is still a bit much.
>
>Anybody have any ideas? Memory?
>
>Thanks!

Memory and power supply are possible culprits. Run Memtest86+ to rule
out memory problems. Memtest86+ is available by itself, or as part of
the (recommended) Hiren's Boot CD.
http://www.hirensbootcd.net/download.html