From: Rich on
Check out the tests on the Ricoh with the back-illuminated sensor. It is a
PIECE OF JUNK for any ISO over 200, which is NO surprise. Current sensors
are not inefficient. Not NEARLY so much as the nuts hyping back
illumination are pretending. Does back illumination work, at all? Yes, it
can, but not with TINY, CRAPPY sensors like the "dime a dozen" 1/2.3."
Back illumination might be interesting on a bigger sensor, and it is viable
for scientific CCDs with huge pixels, but for now, you can't make a silk
purse out of a sow's ear no matter what tricks you try.
From: N on

"Rich" <none(a)nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Check out the tests on the Ricoh with the back-illuminated sensor. It is
> PIECE OF JUNK for any ISO over 200, which is NO surprise. Current sensors
> are not inefficient. Not NEARLY so much as the nuts hyping back
> illumination are pretending. Does back illumination work, at all? Yes, it
> can, but not with TINY, CRAPPY sensors like the "dime a dozen" 1/2.3."
> Back illumination might be interesting on a bigger sensor, and it is
> viable
> for scientific CCDs with huge pixels, but for now, you can't make a silk
> purse out of a sow's ear no matter what tricks you try.

What's your opinion of a Nikon P100?

From: Alfred Molon on
What problem do you have?
--

Alfred Molon
On May 14, 7:29 am, "N" <N...(a)onyx.com> wrote:
> "Rich" <n...(a)nowhere.com> wrote in message

> > Check out the tests on the Ricoh with the back-illuminated sensor.  It is
> > PIECE OF JUNK for any ISO over 200, which is NO surprise.  Current sensors
> > are not inefficient.  Not NEARLY so much as the nuts hyping back
> > illumination are pretending.  Does back illumination work, at all? Yes, it
> > can, but not with TINY, CRAPPY sensors like the "dime a dozen" 1/2.3."
> > Back illumination might be interesting on a bigger sensor, and it is
> > viable
> > for scientific CCDs with huge pixels, but for now, you can't make a silk
> > purse out of a sow's ear no matter what tricks you try.
>
> What's your opinion of a Nikon P100?

Haven't seen it yet, I'll check it out though.
From: N on

"RichA" <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> On May 14, 7:29 am, "N" <N...(a)onyx.com> wrote:
>> "Rich" <n...(a)nowhere.com> wrote in message

>> > Check out the tests on the Ricoh with the back-illuminated sensor. It
>> > is
>> > PIECE OF JUNK for any ISO over 200, which is NO surprise. Current
>> > sensors
>> > are not inefficient. Not NEARLY so much as the nuts hyping back
>> > illumination are pretending. Does back illumination work, at all? Yes,
>> > it
>> > can, but not with TINY, CRAPPY sensors like the "dime a dozen" 1/2.3."
>> > Back illumination might be interesting on a bigger sensor, and it is
>> > viable
>> > for scientific CCDs with huge pixels, but for now, you can't make a
>> > silk
>> > purse out of a sow's ear no matter what tricks you try.
>>
>> What's your opinion of a Nikon P100?
>>
>> --
>
> Haven't seen it yet, I'll check it out though.

It's getting bad reviews.