From: mike on
Dell Inspiron 1150.
Windows XP with black desktop background.
Randomly, the background goes to bright green.
But the windows logo and the media player icon
still have their RGBY segments in the correct color.
There's also a black smear trailing text and icons
that looks a lot like a drop-shadow.
The window backgrounds are still white, but there's a purple
effect that looks like a badly pixelated shaded area in areas
that might be shaded.

Everything still looks fine on an external monitor.

This has me baffled. If a color went missing, I'd expect it
to be missing..or full on... on all parts of the display.

Flexing the display cable by moving the lid has no effect.
Doesn't seem to be heat related.

What should I look for?
Thanks, mike
From: undisclosed on

mike;1785605 Wrote:
> Dell Inspiron 1150.
> Windows XP with black desktop background.
> Randomly, the background goes to bright green.
> But the windows logo and the media player icon
> still have their RGBY segments in the correct color.
> There's also a black smear trailing text and icons
> that looks a lot like a drop-shadow.
> The window backgrounds are still white, but there's a purple
> effect that looks like a badly pixelated shaded area in areas
> that might be shaded.
>
> Everything still looks fine on an external monitor.
>
> This has me baffled. If a color went missing, I'd expect it
> to be missing..or full on... on all parts of the display.
>
> Flexing the display cable by moving the lid has no effect.
> Doesn't seem to be heat related.
>
> What should I look for?
> Thanks, mike

Hi, this sounds similar to one i fixed a while back, it turned out to
be the ribbon. Well water damage to the ribbon connector. I cleaned eh
connector with a alcohol solution and a toothbrush and replaced the
ribbon and it was fine. The fact that it works fine on the external
monitor means it not the machine itself, its a screen/ribbon issue.
probably a good idea if you take it to a shop where they will easily be
able to test another screen for you.

--
JAM_EZZ