From: Goju Teacher <Goju on
I think I got a virus that made my screen background all white. When I click
on properties, it gives the following: file://C:\WINDOWS\warnhp.html

I have tried a bunch of times to change the background, but when the system
reboots, it always goes back to white.

Any suggestions?
From: Mat Cauthon on
Use this tool

AntiPuper v1.1 by secured2k
http://secured2k.home.comcast.net/tools/AntiPuper.exe

This tool unlocks the ability to change or disable the desktop background
image or active web desktop background. You will need to manually change
your desktop background.

Go to Control Panel > Display > Desktop Tab > Customize Desktop > Web Tab.
If you see any entries that are checked, uncheck them. Click OK.

From: Plato on
Mat Cauthon wrote:

Of course he should get rid of the virus first, assuming that caused
it/causes it.

Use this tool

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

From: Malke on
Goju Teacher wrote:

> I think I got a virus that made my screen background all white. When I
> click on properties, it gives the following:
> file://C:\WINDOWS\warnhp.html
>
> I have tried a bunch of times to change the background, but when the
> system reboots, it always goes back to white.
>
> Any suggestions?

First run noahdfear's SmitFraud and SpyAxe removal tool -
http://noahdfear.geekstogo.com/click%20counter/click.php?id=8
References - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic36868.html
http://malwareremoval.com/plog/index.php?op=ViewArticle&articleId=48&blogId=3

Then run David Lipman's tool -
http://www.ik-cs.com/programs/virtools/SmitFraud.exe

David's Instructions:
Execute SmitFraud.exe (Note: You must accept the default of C:\McAfee)
Choose Unzip
Choose Close

NOTE: You may have to disable your software firewall or allow WGET.EXE
to go through your firewall to enable WGET.EXE to download the needed
McAfee-related files.

Execute c:\mcafee\clean.bat (or Double-click on 'Clean Link' in c
\mcafee)

A final report in HTML format called C:\mcafee\ScanReport.HTML will be
generated. At the end of the scan, it will be displayed in your browser
(Opera, FireFox or Internet Explorer). It is suggested that you move
the report out of c:\mcafee before performing another scan.

Continue with general malware removal -

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell