From: Neil Rutman on
I'm in the process of backing up all my audio drives. Often I will have
files for one song in several different places on the audio drive due to
working on something for a while then leaving it for weeks or longer,
working on other projects. I have tons of songs like this which makes for a
fairly disorganized drive.

Before I backup I make sure that all wavs for each song are in 1 folder. My
question is, assuming that having all the files for one song close to each
other on the drive will enhance performance, do I need to copy/backup each
folder one at a time to the new drive to make sure the files that had
previously been scattered throughout the original drive are now close
together?

Does any of this even matter?

Neil R

From: Kraig Olmstead on
The drive hasn't been a bottleneck since the days where PIO was your
only real choice with IDE. The CPU remains the bottleneck because DAW
users will always use as much as they can get. That may change some
day, but it's certainly true for now.

Buddy Holly show tonight.
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=261637174922&index=1

KO

From: Neil Rutman on
Thanks Glennbo!

Neil R

From: Neil Rutman on
Thanks Kraig,

Neil R

From: John Braner on
On 03/02/2010 17:20, Neil Rutman wrote:
> I'm in the process of backing up all my audio drives. Often I will have
> files for one song in several different places on the audio drive due to
> working on something for a while then leaving it for weeks or longer,
> working on other projects. I have tons of songs like this which makes for a
> fairly disorganized drive.
>
> Before I backup I make sure that all wavs for each song are in 1 folder. My
> question is, assuming that having all the files for one song close to each
> other on the drive will enhance performance, do I need to copy/backup each
> folder one at a time to the new drive to make sure the files that had
> previously been scattered throughout the original drive are now close
> together?
>
> Does any of this even matter?
>
> Neil R

Neil,

Are you using SONAR? If so - you can "save as" your file to a new folder and all the audio will get
copied to one place. If you do this to all your songs - voila! dirve is "organised".

It may not help performance - but you'll know where things are.

PS - when you're done - you'd delete all the old folders.

--
John Braner

jbraner(a)NOblueyonderSPAM.co.uk
http://cdbaby.com/cd/JohnBraner