From: Jonny_S on
Thanks
From: Rick Merrill on
Jonny_S wrote:
> This seems so ridiculous but how do I back up with out backing up my backup?
> I have an external hard drive - "F." When I run the back up utility and
> select - back up entire system, it factors in F into the back up and it backs
> up everything. I just want to back up the C drive. I would like to run the
> full back up so that it will create the back up disk. I guess an option
> would be to back it up to C:\ with the hard drive disconnected and then copy
> that file to the hard drive. Might that work? Any other ideas? Many thanks.

Start the backup wizard and select "let me choose" then
choose just the C drive TO the external drive.

This same issue was driving me crazy
because each successive backup DOUBLED in size!

From: Patrick Keenan on

"Jonny_S" <Jonny_S(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This seems so ridiculous but how do I back up with out backing up my
> backup?
> I have an external hard drive - "F." When I run the back up utility and
> select - back up entire system, it factors in F into the back up and it
> backs
> up everything. I just want to back up the C drive. I would like to run
> the
> full back up so that it will create the back up disk. I guess an option
> would be to back it up to C:\ with the hard drive disconnected and then
> copy
> that file to the hard drive. Might that work? Any other ideas? Many
> thanks.

There's really little need to back up the entire drive. You really want to
make a backup of the drive, and then do incremental backups of the data.
There are a number of system files that *will change* every time the system
runs (the pagefile, for instance) and you do not want or need these backed
up.

Use a modern backup tool, such as TrueImage. This is not expensive and
works very well.

HTH
-pk