From: Alfred Molon on
A few compact cameras with backlit sensors have been launched. Are there
any reviews or comparisons detailing how the performance is compared to
standard cameras?
--

Alfred Molon
Alfred Molon wrote:
> A few compact cameras with backlit sensors have been launched. Are there
> any reviews or comparisons detailing how the performance is compared to
> standard cameras?

Done right they should have more sensitivity and so lower effective
noise for a given size of sensor site. Top grade astronomical sensors
are always thinned and backlit but it is an incredibly expensive method
so I don't know how Sony are doing it for consumer grade gear.

They are innovators though some of their low noise sensors already make
it into amateur astronomy actively cooled CCD cameras. A comparison
curve for astronomical grade CCDs front and back lit is online at:

http://outreach.atnf.csiro.au/education/senior/astrophysics/photometry_photoelectricastro.html

I am surprised Sony can manufacture them cost effectively for consumer
grade gear. I cannot imagine the general public paying the sort of
premium that professional astronomers will pay for needing 1/3 of the
exposure time or being able to see 3x fainter signals in the same time.

Regards,
Martin Brown
From: Chrlz on
On Mar 6, 6:07 pm, Alfred Molon <alfred_mo...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> A few compact cameras with backlit sensors have been launched. Are there
> any reviews or comparisons detailing how the performance is compared to
> standard cameras?
> --
>
> Alfred Molon

I think the Nikon P100 is the only back-illuminated sensor camera out
so far. The few reviews I've seen are not in depth, but they didn't
seem overly impressed with the image quality/high ISO performance.
(Having said that, Nikon's (non-dslr) design team doesn't exactly
shine when it comes to wringing performance out of their pretty
mediocre bridge and p&s cameras...)

Fuji's upcoming HS10 has pretty wild specifications on paper. Fuji
has been known to get a couple of their little cameras to perform well
in the high ISO area, so that one might be more interesting. However,
pushing a superzoom that far (24-720?...!!!) has gotta be asking for
trouble, even if the sensor is good. There's some optical science
standing in the way of such feats...

As always, I think the hype will exceed the reality significantly -
but any improvement in photon-efficiency is a step in the right
direction.
From: NameHere on
On Sat, 06 Mar 2010 09:54:29 +0000, Martin Brown
<|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Alfred Molon wrote:
>> A few compact cameras with backlit sensors have been launched. Are there
>> any reviews or comparisons detailing how the performance is compared to
>> standard cameras?
>
>Done right they should have more sensitivity and so lower effective
>noise for a given size of sensor site. Top grade astronomical sensors
>are always thinned and backlit but it is an incredibly expensive method
>so I don't know how Sony are doing it for consumer grade gear.
>
>They are innovators though some of their low noise sensors already make
>it into amateur astronomy actively cooled CCD cameras. A comparison
>curve for astronomical grade CCDs front and back lit is online at:
>
>http://outreach.atnf.csiro.au/education/senior/astrophysics/photometry_photoelectricastro.html
>
>I am surprised Sony can manufacture them cost effectively for consumer
>grade gear. I cannot imagine the general public paying the sort of
>premium that professional astronomers will pay for needing 1/3 of the
>exposure time or being able to see 3x fainter signals in the same time.
>
>Regards,
>Martin Brown

Why do you think they are being made the same way for the same high cost?
They wouldn't be putting them into P&S cameras if that was true. You're not
too bright, are you. That's obvious.

From: Robert Spanjaard on
On Sat, 06 Mar 2010 05:58:29 -0600, NameHere wrote:

>>I am surprised Sony can manufacture them cost effectively for consumer
>>grade gear. I cannot imagine the general public paying the sort of
>>premium that professional astronomers will pay for needing 1/3 of the
>>exposure time or being able to see 3x fainter signals in the same time.
>
> Why do you think they are being made the same way for the same high
> cost?

He doesn't. He is only surprised that Sony is able to make them at such
low cost, considering the high cost of astronomy products.

> They wouldn't be putting them into P&S cameras if that was true.
> You're not too bright, are you.

He is, but the smoke in your head is blocking all the light.

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com