From: Andrew on
Just an observation; when doing my monthly disk cleanup process last night
(7/1), I noticed that Q seems to have for some reason turned 'off' the
backup option that places the date and time in the file name. If this was
just for one Q fileset, I would have thought it was me, but it happened on
multiple filesets. Seems to have occurred around 6/14/2010, might have been
a piece of maintenance than went in on that time.

No big deal, just had to recheck the option for the backup for each file.

Anyone else see this?

Regards -

- Andrew

From: Tim Conway on

"Andrew" <andrew(a)jkl.com> wrote in message
> Just an observation; when doing my monthly disk cleanup process last night
> (7/1), I noticed that Q seems to have for some reason turned 'off' the
> backup option that places the date and time in the file name. If this was
> just for one Q fileset, I would have thought it was me, but it happened on
> multiple filesets. Seems to have occurred around 6/14/2010, might have
> been a piece of maintenance than went in on that time.
>
> No big deal, just had to recheck the option for the backup for each file.
>
> Anyone else see this?

It seems I did see this. There was one day around that time where the date
stopped being added to the backup file like you said. I just rechecked the
box to add it again. Strange.

From: R. C. White on
Hi, Andrew.

Hmm... I hadn't even noticed some of the recent changes in Quicken's backup
procedures.

There was a lot of change in Q2010 from prior versions. The biggest was
that it changed from multiple files in "the file" to including everything in
a single large QDF file. And it started making way too many of those
now-huge files - and appending a long date/time string to each name. We
were using up disk space at a scary rate! Early update Releases changed
some things, then changed some back. But along about R 3 in November 2009
things kind of settled down and I had not noticed any changes since then. I
had not even noticed the very welcome new explanatory text in the Edit |
Preferences screen.

Now, I see that I have 10 backups in my QuickenW\BACKUP folder, all dated
from June 4 to now, and all with the date and time in the filename - and
each about 48 MB. No two have the same file date. My voluntary manual
backup file has only the latest backup, plus a few "milestone" archival
backups from several months ago, using the older system. My Preference
setting is for 5 automatic backups, so I don't know why Quicken is keeping
10.

Note that the option to NOT add the date and time to the filename is only
for the manual backups that we make by clicking Backup or pressing <Ctrl>+B.
The date and time are added to the automatic backups with no option to omit
them.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

From: Meebers on
I thought it strange when Q told me that there was another file with the
same name, did I want to overwrite it.?? Not having done any backup that
day, I found my box had no check mark either.