From: nzrdb6 on
How can I grant the right of a login to backup every DB, both present
and future. Must it be sysadmin? I suspect so
From: Russell Fields on
One way to do it is:
1. Add the chosen login as a user in the model database.
2. Make the user a member of the db_backupoperator role of the model
database.

After that, whenever you create a new database, that user and role
permission will be copied from model into the new database. This will not,
however, apply to any databases that are copied or restored from another
server.

Or, you could create a New Database template that includes the grants of
rights that you wish to enforce. (I have do several things this way.)

I also run my backups as sysadmin. However, if I wanted to run under
another account I would either:
1. Check my backup logs daily (which I already do) and add the user and
role membership to the database if I forgot.
2. Create a scheduled job that runs as sysadmin and checks each database
daily, adding add the user and role membership where needed.

RLF