From: rickman on
Looking at the data sheet for the AT91SAM9261, it says the back up
supply voltage range is 1.08 to 1.32 volts with a current of 2.5
microAmps. This could be supplied by a watch battery except I have no
idea how to regulate the voltage to this range without draining the
battery from the regulator quiessent current. I don't recall seeing
any circuits that could provide a regulated voltage and not draw at
least 10 times this much current.

What was Atmel thinking when they drew up these plans for a battery
backed RTC?

Or am I missing something obvious, like a 1.2 volt, low self drain
battery that is perfect for this job?

From: Didi on

rickman wrote:
> Looking at the data sheet for the AT91SAM9261, it says the back up
> supply voltage range is 1.08 to 1.32 volts with a current of 2.5
> microAmps. This could be supplied by a watch battery except I have no
> idea how to regulate the voltage to this range without draining the
> battery from the regulator quiessent current. I don't recall seeing
> any circuits that could provide a regulated voltage and not draw at
> least 10 times this much current.
>
> What was Atmel thinking when they drew up these plans for a battery
> backed RTC?
>
> Or am I missing something obvious, like a 1.2 volt, low self drain
> battery that is perfect for this job?

Perhaps one of these very high capacitance capacitors, charge it
to 1.3 V, 1F @ 2.5 uA will lose 0.25 V for > 10 days, I believe
I have seen capacitors much larger than that.

Making a regulator which cosumes 1 uA or so will be no rocket
science either.

Dimiter

Dimiter Popoff Transgalactic Instruments

http://www.tgi-sci.com

From: Gene S. Berkowitz on
In article <1141585448.583257.226770(a)i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
spamgoeshere4(a)yahoo.com says...
> Looking at the data sheet for the AT91SAM9261, it says the back up
> supply voltage range is 1.08 to 1.32 volts with a current of 2.5
> microAmps. This could be supplied by a watch battery except I have no
> idea how to regulate the voltage to this range without draining the
> battery from the regulator quiessent current. I don't recall seeing
> any circuits that could provide a regulated voltage and not draw at
> least 10 times this much current.
>
> What was Atmel thinking when they drew up these plans for a battery
> backed RTC?
>
> Or am I missing something obvious, like a 1.2 volt, low self drain
> battery that is perfect for this job?

Possibly it was originally designed for use with mercuric oxide
batteries, which have a no-load voltage of 1.35 volts.
Mercury-formula batteries are no longer legal in the USA, and this
has been a problem for (vintage) camera buffs. The typical solution
is to take a 1.5V alkaline cell and add a diode to drop the voltage,
but this probably won't work well with a 2.5 uA load.

Of course, a rechargeable NiMH or NiCd cell is 1.2V... You could
trickle charge it when "main" power is available, and run from it for
the RTC function when "off". A fully charged 500 mAH cell would run a
2.5 uA load for 200,000 hours, or 22 years, if not for the ~1% self-
discharge. You would certainly get a few months before you would need
to supply a recharge...

--Gene

From: rickman on
Gene S. Berkowitz wrote:
> In article <1141585448.583257.226770(a)i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> spamgoeshere4(a)yahoo.com says...
> > Looking at the data sheet for the AT91SAM9261, it says the back up
> > supply voltage range is 1.08 to 1.32 volts with a current of 2.5
> > microAmps. This could be supplied by a watch battery except I have no
> > idea how to regulate the voltage to this range without draining the
> > battery from the regulator quiessent current. I don't recall seeing
> > any circuits that could provide a regulated voltage and not draw at
> > least 10 times this much current.
> >
> > What was Atmel thinking when they drew up these plans for a battery
> > backed RTC?
> >
> > Or am I missing something obvious, like a 1.2 volt, low self drain
> > battery that is perfect for this job?
>
> Possibly it was originally designed for use with mercuric oxide
> batteries, which have a no-load voltage of 1.35 volts.
> Mercury-formula batteries are no longer legal in the USA, and this
> has been a problem for (vintage) camera buffs. The typical solution
> is to take a 1.5V alkaline cell and add a diode to drop the voltage,
> but this probably won't work well with a 2.5 uA load.
>
> Of course, a rechargeable NiMH or NiCd cell is 1.2V... You could
> trickle charge it when "main" power is available, and run from it for
> the RTC function when "off". A fully charged 500 mAH cell would run a
> 2.5 uA load for 200,000 hours, or 22 years, if not for the ~1% self-
> discharge. You would certainly get a few months before you would need
> to supply a recharge...

Isn't that a pretty large battery for a clock backup? But the self
discharge is the real issue. I just find it odd that they would design
the power circuit for a real time clock to be anything other than
compaitble with 1.5 volt Silver Oxide found in watches or 3 volt
lithium cells found in pretty much all the other stuff that needs a
backup battery. If it needs an LDO to work with standard batteries,
then shove that inside the chip. Isn't integration what these chips
are all about?

From: Ulf Samuelsson on
> Isn't that a pretty large battery for a clock backup? But the self
> discharge is the real issue. I just find it odd that they would
> design the power circuit for a real time clock to be anything other
> than compaitble with 1.5 volt Silver Oxide found in watches or 3 volt
> lithium cells found in pretty much all the other stuff that needs a
> backup battery. If it needs an LDO to work with standard batteries,
> then shove that inside the chip. Isn't integration what these chips
> are all about?

Since it is in a 0,13u process, the core voltage is limited to 1.2V.
The integrated LDO has 30-40uA inherent power consumption.
The external voltage regulator has 1 uA power consumption.
Different processes you know.

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson