From: Rick North on
Hi All,

I have tried to get some information about RTOS from different
suppliers, but I find it hard to cut trough the marketing and sales
pitch persons. Before you can get any answers, you have to answer 50
questions to get any info at all and then they want to demo their
excellent RTOS. Taking more of your time. So I thought I might ask the
community if they have any real life experiences and 'gotchas' to
share.

Have anybody used the PPC405 inside a Virtex-4 with a RTOS? Which one
and what grade would you give it?

My application is a central control FPGA which handles some
communication via RocketIO and some data recording and calculation.
Hmmm.... it is a general question.

Cheers,
/Rick

From: Pete Fenelon on
Rick North <dontreplytothisaddy(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> Have anybody used the PPC405 inside a Virtex-4 with a RTOS? Which one
> and what grade would you give it?

Rick, please email me - I'm aware of at least one RTOS developed for that
combination, but I don't want to post an advert. ;)

pete
--
pete(a)fenelon.com [Support no2id.net: working to destroy Blair's ID card fraud]
From: Tim Wescott on
Rick North wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have tried to get some information about RTOS from different
> suppliers, but I find it hard to cut trough the marketing and sales
> pitch persons. Before you can get any answers, you have to answer 50
> questions to get any info at all and then they want to demo their
> excellent RTOS. Taking more of your time. So I thought I might ask the
> community if they have any real life experiences and 'gotchas' to
> share.
>
> Have anybody used the PPC405 inside a Virtex-4 with a RTOS? Which one
> and what grade would you give it?
>
> My application is a central control FPGA which handles some
> communication via RocketIO and some data recording and calculation.
> Hmmm.... it is a general question.
>
> Cheers,
> /Rick

For just a real-time kernel I would use uCOS/II. It's inexpensive yet
solid, and it gets the job done. If you need real-time and you want all
the Unix trimmings consider VxWorks from Wind River. It's _spendy_, and
the support folks are all snobs, but it the RTOS part is solid and it
does have all the trimmings. I'd use VxWorks again, but only after
considering alternatives like Linux and eCos.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posting from Google? See http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/
From: Ansatt on
Don't use VxWorks. Over priced, over rated and with a stinking support.
I know because we use them, but next time we will not give them so much
as a thought.

In article <1140728694.189811.142080(a)p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com>,
dontreplytothisaddy(a)hotmail.com says...

--
Regards
Ole Asbjorn Fadum
From: Bo on

"Tim Wescott" <tim(a)seemywebsite.com> wrote in message
> Rick North wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have tried to get some information about RTOS from different
>> suppliers, but I find it hard to cut trough the marketing and sales
>> pitch persons. Before you can get any answers, you have to answer 50
>> questions to get any info at all and then they want to demo their
>> excellent RTOS. Taking more of your time. So I thought I might ask the
>> community if they have any real life experiences and 'gotchas' to
>> share.
>>
>> Have anybody used the PPC405 inside a Virtex-4 with a RTOS? Which one
>> and what grade would you give it?
>>
>> My application is a central control FPGA which handles some
>> communication via RocketIO and some data recording and calculation.
>> Hmmm.... it is a general question.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> /Rick
>>
> For just a real-time kernel I would use uCOS/II. It's inexpensive yet
> solid, and it gets the job done. If you need real-time and you want all
> the Unix trimmings consider VxWorks from Wind River. It's _spendy_, and
> the support folks are all snobs, but it the RTOS part is solid and it does
> have all the trimmings. I'd use VxWorks again, but only after considering
> alternatives like Linux and eCos.
>
> --
>
> Tim Wescott

I'd echo Tim's sentiment,

Regarding VxWorks vs. Linux--- we found that a commercial real-time Linux
was no cheaper than VxWorks and had no support. VxWorks is not cheap by any
stretch--around $7K per seat. But, the RTOS has been around forever and is
qualified by many US govt agencies (NASA, DoD, et al). I'm utterly
*unimpressed* by their host/build environment and the fact it sits on top of
GNU tools. However, the target OS is good.

I share your frustrations with the RTOS vendors. My digging convinced me
that you are not going to get any commercial RTOS for less than $5K. Pretty
steep for any small system...

Paul