From: 42Bastian Schick on
On 26 Feb 2006 13:01:55 -0800, "Rick North"
<dontreplytothisaddy(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>Great replies, Thank you all for sharing.
>
>I like the Pete Fenelon msg about true hard RTOS and looked around more
>and found one in Sweden. Sierra by Realfast,
>http://www.realfast.se/RFIPP/products/sierra/sierra.shtml

Hey, that's cool: An RTOS in hardware.

--
42Bastian
Do not email to bastian42(a)yahoo.com, it's a spam-only account :-)
From: Paul Whitfield on
42Bastian Schick wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 09:05:49 +0800, Paul Whitfield >
>> With commercial support if you require!
>>
>> The free community support is better than anything I have ever got as a
>> result of paying for it!
>

> You bought from the wrong company :-)

But my experiences spans 2 decades and seven or more RTOS vendors
... of which only two vendors have given what I consider to be
*acceptable* support!!

Generally I have not been the one making the
original decision... just dealing with the consequences! :-(

It should be remembered once you pick an RTOS for a product,
you are pretty much locked in for the life of the product.

There is nothing worse than working on a RTOS, where
you don't have source, where the vendor decides to
stop supporting a particular processor!

Since moving to rtems, on the rare occasions where I have
had a problem I have ALWAYS been pleasantly surprised by
the level of support the developer community provides!

Generally I would say whatever you do, commercial or open source
make sure you get an RTOS with source code,
that way you ALWAYS have the option of fixing problems yourself.

Regards

Paul
From: banh on
hi,
this is really cool RTOS, because it's based on HW.
However, is there any customer adopting it? and is it cheap?

From: 42Bastian Schick on
On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 08:09:37 +0800, Paul Whitfield
<NoSpam(a)iinet.net.au> wrote:

>There is nothing worse than working on a RTOS, where
>you don't have source, where the vendor decides to
>stop supporting a particular processor!

I add one more: Worse if you have no source at all.

Only thing our customers struggle a bit: Our kernel is written in
assembler. It is sometimes the first time they need to see assembler
sources :-)

From: roger.larsson on
42Bastian Schick wrote:

> On 23 Feb 2006 13:04:54 -0800, "Rick North"
> <dontreplytothisaddy(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi All,
>>
>>I have tried to get some information about RTOS from different
>>suppliers, but I find it hard to cut trough the marketing and sales
>>pitch persons. Before you can get any answers, you have to answer 50
>>questions to get any info at all and then they want to demo their
>>excellent RTOS. Taking more of your time. So I thought I might ask the
>>community if they have any real life experiences and 'gotchas' to
>>share.
>
> Did you go to my employers web-site : www.sciopta.com ?

That sounds a lot like OSE.
http://www.ose-systems.co.uk/whyose.htm