From: Z on
Sandy Human Rights wrote:
> I considered the absence of a floppy as a possible problem before I asked
> this question, and inserted one, trying again but getting the same result.
> or NTFS format, but I do have writing authority. This is a new Maxtor 80 GB
> external drive, just installed, but there is essentially zero documentation
> with it. More of a plug&play situation than anything else. But I'm getting

I assume you've installed it properly and formatted it?

Open My Computer, right click on the drive, Properties.

Is the file system RAW or NTFS?

> open (and how DO I tell whether the format is FAT or NTFA?). Thanks!

See above.
From: Z on
jonah wrote:
> NT Backup is not exactly user friendly, there are a million things
> have to be correct to run a backup and even then you can end up with a
> useless backup that cannot be restored unless you know exactly what
> you are doing.

Useless in what way?

Because of user error during the setup/backup (not checking System State
or the right directories, for example?), or because of a bug in Backup?
From: Anna on
>> "Sandy Human Rights" <Sandy Human Rights(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>> in
>> message news:DF805DCA-0299-4FBC-B620-3F980686EFBF(a)microsoft.com...
>> > I'm trying to perform a full backup using NTBACKUP, and placing the
>> > backup
>> > on
>> > an external hard drive. The backup won't run, and I get an error
>> > message
>> > that says "The files for the recovery diskette could not be created.
>> > The
>> > operation was aborted." I can't come up with any reason why this is
>> > happening. Any ideas, suggestions?

Jonah responds...
NT Backup is not exactly user friendly, there are a million things
have to be correct to run a backup and even then you can end up with a
useless backup that cannot be restored unless you know exactly what
you are doing.

My advice is forget NT Backup and get yourself a copy of Norton Ghost
or Acronis True Image and write a drive image to your external HDD.
Acronis in particular is nigh on bullet proof and very easy to use.
Save yourself the grief.

Jonah

"Sandy Human Rights" <SandyHumanRights(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:1BE081E0-50AA-475F-91E0-F480BCD48C96(a)microsoft.com...
>I considered the absence of a floppy as a possible problem before I asked
> this question, and inserted one, trying again but getting the same result.
> FAT
> or NTFS format, but I do have writing authority. This is a new Maxtor 80
> GB
> external drive, just installed, but there is essentially zero
> documentation
> with it. More of a plug&play situation than anything else. But I'm
> getting
> ready to create copious amounts of digitized embroidery designs for my
> daughter's wedding gown, and I'm not willing to put any of it at risk by
> not
> having a complete backup to protect my system (been there-done that).
> Is there a chance I need to shut down and re-start before the system feels
> warm & fuzzy with the new equipment? I'd feel silly if that was all it
> took,
> but it will be my next move, since I have to leave the house anyway. If
> you
> or anyone else has suggestions so I can benefit from your greater wisdom,
> I'm
> open (and how DO I tell whether the format is FAT or NTFA?). Thanks!

> "Jim" wrote:
>> You are using the ASR function in backup. It creates the file, and then
>> expects you to furnish a floppy disk for it to put some recovery info on.
>> Perhaps you don't have a floppy, in which case you can't use this
>> function.
>> That you don't have a floppy would explain your message.
>> Perhaps you have a floppy but did not insert a blank disk in the drive.
>> Ntbackup still cannot finish the task.
>>
>> Jim

Sandy:
Take Jonah's excellent advice re using either Symantec's Norton Ghost
(preferably the 2003 version) or Acronis True Image and use one or the other
of those disk imaging programs to create a "clone" of your day-to-day
working drive. The process is simple, straightforward, and most of all -
effective. By so doing, you'll be creating - in effect - a bit-for-bit copy
of your internal drive, including the OS, registry, all programs & data, in
short everything that's on your disk. Your external HD will be the recipient
of this clone and while it will not be bootable, should the need arise for
you to restore your working drive (assuming it's not
electronically/mechanically defective), you can clone back the contents of
the USBEHD to your internal drive. And you'll use the disk imaging program
for routine, systematic backups.
Anna