From: Henry on
Running WinXP Pro SP2 on Dell with 3G CPU and 2G RAM.

I bought a Seagate external hard drive for backup purposes and now I'm
looking for a good backup program. The one that came with the Seagate
isn't very good because it makes you backup on a schedule rather than
when you want and Microsoft's SyncToy is worthless because I don't
have all of my folders under My Documents so I have to make folder
pairs for each folder.

If there is something free out there that would be great. I'd like to
be able to have the program run and only change the folders/files that
have changed since the last time I backed up.

Thanks

Henry
From: Ron Gibson on
On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 16:28:11 -0500, Henry <wa0goz(a)arrl.net> wrote:

>Running WinXP Pro SP2 on Dell with 3G CPU and 2G RAM.

>I bought a Seagate external hard drive for backup purposes and now I'm
>looking for a good backup program. The one that came with the Seagate
>isn't very good because it makes you backup on a schedule rather than
>when you want and Microsoft's SyncToy is worthless because I don't
>have all of my folders under My Documents so I have to make folder
>pairs for each folder.

Well some people use Ghost for disk to disk backup, but it's not for
me. I run multiple operating systems and all the versions of Ghost I
ever tried were far to simplistic and just plain wimpy.

Item two - Disk to disk backup is very fast, faster and more reliable
than most tape which could cost a thousand dollars.

Item three - Multiple partitioning schemes. By far and away the most
inefficient thing I've ever seen is the default to putting everything
on one big primary partition.

I've found the best approach is to put the operating system only on C:

Then create additional logical partitions for

1) Programs D:
2) Data files E:
3) Multimedia files F:

....and so on to fit your particular needs.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

I prefer Paragon Hard Disk Manager myself. It's Gparted based with
several nice enhancements.

Why? Say you want to try out some program. You only need backup C: and
D:

That way if you don't like the program or the system become unusable
because it's a real turkey you only need to restore C: and D:

Likewise if you get a bunch of new MMedia files you only need to
backup F:

I do not like "images". It's much simpler to do copies especially if
you need to retrieve only one file.

>If there is something free out there that would be great. I'd like to
>be able to have the program run and only change the folders/files that
>have changed since the last time I backed up.

You might want to take a look at the URL below. Almost all the home
backup software now is based on linux. Gparted is a live bootable CD
and the price is right - Free.

--
....Stabbed 14 times, shot 3 times, worst case of suicide ever
From: Caesar Romano on
On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 16:28:11 -0500, Henry <wa0goz(a)arrl.net> wrote Re
Backup program needed:

>Running WinXP Pro SP2 on Dell with 3G CPU and 2G RAM.
>
>I bought a Seagate external hard drive for backup purposes and now I'm
>looking for a good backup program. The one that came with the Seagate
>isn't very good because it makes you backup on a schedule rather than
>when you want and Microsoft's SyncToy is worthless because I don't
>have all of my folders under My Documents so I have to make folder
>pairs for each folder.
>
>If there is something free out there that would be great. I'd like to
>be able to have the program run and only change the folders/files that
>have changed since the last time I backed up.
>
>Thanks
>
>Henry

DriveImage XML V2.14
http://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm

It's saved me several times.
From: freemont on
On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 16:28:11 -0500, Henry writ:

> Running WinXP Pro SP2 on Dell with 3G CPU and 2G RAM.
>
> I bought a Seagate external hard drive for backup purposes and now I'm
> looking for a good backup program. The one that came with the Seagate
> isn't very good because it makes you backup on a schedule rather than
> when you want and Microsoft's SyncToy is worthless because I don't have
> all of my folders under My Documents so I have to make folder pairs for
> each folder.
>
> If there is something free out there that would be great. I'd like to
> be able to have the program run and only change the folders/files that
> have changed since the last time I backed up.

Cobain Backup

http://www.cobiansoft.com/cobianbackup.htm

Good product, no catches.
--
⁂ "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"