From: Larry Waibel on
I just upgraded from Q2006 Deluxe to Q2007 Premier. I had been backing up to
a DVD on a drive controlled by Roxio Drag-to-disc and it worked fine for as
long as I've been using it (more than a year). Now when I try to backup
Q2007 to the same location I get a message "CD backup error! The CD drive
contains a non-writable CD. Please enter a valid disc into Drive G:!" There
is a valid writeable disk there as there had always been for Q2006. What has
changed with Q2007 that will no longer allow me to use the DVD-RW drive which
Roxio exposes as drive G:?

From: John Pollard on
"Larry Waibel" <lwaibel(a)nospam.cox.net> wrote in message
>I just upgraded from Q2006 Deluxe to Q2007 Premier. I had been
>backing up to
> a DVD on a drive controlled by Roxio Drag-to-disc and it
> worked fine for as
> long as I've been using it (more than a year). Now when I try
> to backup
> Q2007 to the same location I get a message "CD backup error!
> The CD drive
> contains a non-writable CD. Please enter a valid disc into
> Drive G:!" There
> is a valid writeable disk there as there had always been for
> Q2006. What has
> changed with Q2007 that will no longer allow me to use the
> DVD-RW drive which
> Roxio exposes as drive G:?

You must use the Windows CD Writing Wizard to backup directly to
CD in Q2007.

From: John Pollard on
"John Pollard" <invalid(a)invalid.com> wrote in message
> "Larry Waibel" <lwaibel(a)nospam.cox.net> wrote in message
>>I just upgraded from Q2006 Deluxe to Q2007 Premier. I had
>>been backing up to
>> a DVD on a drive controlled by Roxio Drag-to-disc and it
>> worked fine for as
>> long as I've been using it (more than a year). Now when I
>> try to backup
>> Q2007 to the same location I get a message "CD backup error!
>> The CD drive
>> contains a non-writable CD. Please enter a valid disc into
>> Drive G:!" There
>> is a valid writeable disk there as there had always been for
>> Q2006. What has
>> changed with Q2007 that will no longer allow me to use the
>> DVD-RW drive which
>> Roxio exposes as drive G:?

> You must use the Windows CD Writing Wizard to backup directly
> to CD in Q2007.

Sorry, I meant to add that although Intuit has not quite said it
directly yet, I think it's likely that Quicken will not backup
directly to DVD at all. I don't have a recordable DVD drive, so
I'm not familiar with what Windows can do as far as burning
DVD's is concerned, but my understanding is that Q2007 has
removed the ability to use third party software for CD's/DVD's:
it's Windows, or nothing.

There is no reason you can't backup to your hard drive and use
any means you like to put that backup on your offline media.

From: Gary T on
Larry Waibel wrote:
> I just upgraded from Q2006 Deluxe to Q2007 Premier. I had been backing up to
> a DVD on a drive controlled by Roxio Drag-to-disc and it worked fine for as
> long as I've been using it (more than a year). Now when I try to backup
> Q2007 to the same location I get a message "CD backup error! The CD drive
> contains a non-writable CD. Please enter a valid disc into Drive G:!" There
> is a valid writeable disk there as there had always been for Q2006. What has
> changed with Q2007 that will no longer allow me to use the DVD-RW drive which
> Roxio exposes as drive G:?

Hi Larry,

Just to add to the comments John has made, the Roxio Drag-2-Disc
application uses packet-writing, which is a notoriously unreliable way
to write to CDs or DVDs. I personally have never had a problem with it,
and it appears it has worked well for you for a while now.

I personally have read at least 100 or so messages (probably more) over
at the Roxio support forum where folks have been going along using D2D
just fine and then all of a sudden the disc cannot be read any more, and
all their files are lost. Once corrupted, the files cannot be
retrieved off of the disc.

I would follow John's suggestion of backing up to the hard drive and
then using something else to get the files onto a CD or DVD. That's
what I do now that I've seen the problems that can come from using D2D
or other packet-writing software.

Regards,

Gary
From: Larry Waibel on
In article <hLDFg.4926$aJ.4606(a)attbi_s21>, John Pollard wrote:
> > You must use the Windows CD Writing Wizard to backup directly
> > to CD in Q2007.
>
> Sorry, I meant to add that although Intuit has not quite said it
> directly yet, I think it's likely that Quicken will not backup
> directly to DVD at all. I don't have a recordable DVD drive, so
> I'm not familiar with what Windows can do as far as burning
> DVD's is concerned, but my understanding is that Q2007 has
> removed the ability to use third party software for CD's/DVD's:
> it's Windows, or nothing.

Funny how that wasn't on the list of all the improvements they made because
of customer feedback; NOT!

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Memorize Address Failure