From: Henri Wilson on
On 22 Nov 2005 21:27:55 -0800, jgreen(a)seol.net.au wrote:

>George Dishman wrote:
>> "Henri Wilson" <HW@..> wrote in message
>> > On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 21:00:01 -0000, "George Dishman"
>> > <george(a)briar.demon.co.uk>
>> > wrote:

>> No, I am saying Ritz predicts displacement is proportional
>> to angular acceleration which is what you said above,
>> "fringe movement proportional to da/dt" assuming you mean
>> 'change of displacement' when you say 'movement'.
>>
>> If Jim used 'fringe displacement' it would clear up what
>> he meant.
>>
>> George
>
>Verb or noun?Displacement indicating motion, or position (stationary
>after motion)?
>There is "displacement" occurring while the airframe rotates, and the
>(new position) "displacement" (eg 2 o'clock).
>It seems that your sagnac has additional electronic gadgetry which
>defaults the 2 o'clock to 12 o'clock, once the new heading stabilises.
>
>Jim G
>c'=c+v

Yes Jim, we must get our definitions right or we talk at cross purposes.

I suggest we use:
OUTPUT: The final reading on some kind of instrument of current rotation angle
from the calibrated zero. (static or dynamic)
DISPLACEMENT or SHIFT: the distance between current fringe position and the
zero position. (static)
FRINGE MOVEMENT: the actual transient process when fringes are changing
displacement. (dynamic)

The fact is, fringes remain displaced but static during periods of constant
rotation speeds. The amount of displacement is proportional to rotation speed.
Movement occurs only during periods of acceleration.

HW.
www.users.bigpond.com/hewn/index.htm
see: www.users.bigpond.com/hewn/variablestars.exe

"Sometimes I feel like a complete failure.
The most useful thing I have ever done is prove Einstein wrong".
From: Henri Wilson on
On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 09:23:06 GMT, "Androcles" <Androcles(a)MyPlace.yep> wrote:

>"Henri Wilson" <HW@..> wrote in message

>>>Yeah, you are right...
>>>
>>> http://www.phys.canterbury.ac.nz/research/laser/graphics/zerodorblock1.jpg
>>>A little dangerous though when it starts turning.
>>
>> HaHa!
>What's the haha for? You think this is a joke?

I thought it was.
It looks pretty slippery to me.

From: Henri Wilson on
On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 21:44:45 -0000, "George Dishman" <george(a)briar.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

>"Henri Wilson" <HW@..> wrote in message

>> No that is not right. If the acceleration is +ve, the fringes move one
>> way.
>
>Not according to your diagram. It says the path length is
>increased by vt+1/2at^2 and we know the vt part is cancelled
>by the Ritzian speed change (c+kv) so the path length is
>altered by 1/2at^2 which is constant, and the path length
>determines the fringe displacement.
>
>> It
>> matters not whether the magnitude of that acceleration is increasing or
>> decreasing.
>> You are claiming the fringe ''''movement'''' is a function of da/dt.
>> I would like to see your proof.
>
>Let's stick with the term we agreed, I am saying fringe
>displacement is proportional to dv/dt. My proof is your
>diagram where dv/dt is called "a" and is in the "1/2at^2"
>term. I have already spent months showing you the "vt"
>part is cancelled by the speed change, or think of the
>carousel analogy which shows it nicely, or do "the duck,
>the car and the goose" diagram. All of them prove it.

George, I woke up with another bright idea.

Please run my program: www.users.bigpond.com/hewn/sagnac1.exe

See how the two paths don't meet at the same point.
That is why the BaTh is getting the same travel times for different path
lengths.
What we have to look at are the fronts of the original beam that DO meet at the
same point on the final screen. Think of the main beam as being broad with
continuous 'dispersion'.
The fact is, lines that eventually meet at the same point do not start out
parallel.

I will discuss this with you next time. It is becoming quite complicated.

From: jgreen on

Henri Wilson wrote:
> On 22 Nov 2005 21:27:55 -0800, jgreen(a)seol.net.au wrote:
>

> >George Dishman wrote:
> >> "Henri Wilson" <HW@..> wrote in message
>

> >> No, I am saying Ritz predicts displacement is proportional
> >> to angular acceleration which is what you said above,
> >> "fringe movement proportional to da/dt" assuming you mean
> >> 'change of displacement' when you say 'movement'.
> >>
> >> If Jim used 'fringe displacement' it would clear up what
> >> he meant.
> >>
> >> George
> >
> >Verb or noun?Displacement indicating motion, or position (stationary
> >after motion)?
> >There is "displacement" occurring while the airframe rotates, and the
> >(new position) "displacement" (eg 2 o'clock).
> >It seems that your sagnac has additional electronic gadgetry which
> >defaults the 2 o'clock to 12 o'clock, once the new heading stabilises.
> >
> >Jim G
> >c'=c+v
>
> Yes Jim, we must get our definitions right or we talk at cross purposes.
>
> I suggest we use:
> OUTPUT: The final reading on some kind of instrument of current rotation angle
> from the calibrated zero. (static or dynamic)
> DISPLACEMENT or SHIFT: the distance between current fringe position and the
> zero position. (static)
> FRINGE MOVEMENT: the actual transient process when fringes are changing
> displacement. (dynamic)
>
> The fact is, fringes remain displaced but static during periods of constant
> rotation speeds. The amount of displacement is proportional to rotation speed.
> Movement occurs only during periods of acceleration.

Sounds overly complicated to me.
The addition of the rotational velocity of an airframe to c is VERY
small. The rotation of the sagnac (650rpm whatever), which is enhanced
by the mirroring, magnifies this difference, resulting in a situation
where the position where the beams interdict becomes discernible.
Sagnac WORKS! It is the interpretation of WHY it works is the issue.

Jim G
c'=c+v

From: George Dishman on

> On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 02:12:45 GMT, "Androcles" <Androcles(a)MyPlace.yep>
> wrote:

>>If grandpa gets on that ride, he's not going to see any fringe shift.

Henri, _that_ is what I have been trying to explain
to you for the past many months. Perhaps "Androcles"
can explain it better, he seems to share your ideas
on light propagation. He doesn't read my posts BTW.

The following might be useful for you in explaining
the nature of the experiment to him. There seems
little point discussing it if he thinks the detector
and/or source is off the turntable.

>>Well, see, you have to ..never mind, I SAID it was suitable for 8yo kids,
>>not dumb Wabos who think Grandpa is going to ride that carousel.

http://www.kvh.com/pdf/DSP-4000_6.04.pdf

Grandpa is in the little box with no holes for light
to enter or leave. The carousel is the bit on the top
of the tank that turns.

>>Wabo thinks Grandpa is going to ride that fuckin' carousel, Wabo is
>>fuckin'
>>crazy. I don't know why Wabo changes my experiment to suit himself and
>>then
>>says I'm wrong, except Wabo IS crazy.
>>
>>I say Grandpa watches the carousel, Wabo says in the real world Grandpa
>>rides the carousel.
>>
>>Picture of grandpa riding the carousel:

How it works - see page two

http://www.kvh.com/pdf/ECoreTech.pdf

The blocks marked "laser" and "detector" are actually
a single integrated component. A photodiode is built
on the rear of telecomms laser diodes so they can be
run at the lowest current needed to produce the light
output in order to maximise their life. In the iFOG
the phase modulator produces an AC component on the
photodiode output which is measured by the synchronous
demodulator to give the rate-of-turn output while
the DC part is used to stabilise the laser intensity.

Obvious point: if the laser and detector are a single
component, then if one is "on the carousel", so is the
other.

Just for reference, more detail and equations:

http://www.physik.fu-berlin.de/~bauer/habil_online/node11.html

George