From: kenseto on
The one-way speed of light is not c if the distance of separation between
the two synchronized (using slow transport of the clocks in the opposite
directions) clocks is measured using a physical ruler instead of using a
light second to measure length. Why? Using light-second to measure length is
the same as defining the speed of light equal to c as follows:
The definition for a meter=1/299,792,458 light-second
Therefore 1 light-second=299,792,458m
Therefore the speed of light is by definition =1 light-second/1 second
=
299,792,458m/1 second

Ken Seto

From: The Ghost In The Machine on
In sci.physics, kenseto
<kenseto(a)erinet.com>
wrote
on Wed, 01 Jun 2005 14:36:08 GMT
<sJjne.12045$XA6.6852(a)tornado.ohiordc.rr.com>:
> The one-way speed of light is not c if the distance of separation between
> the two synchronized (using slow transport of the clocks in the opposite
> directions) clocks is measured using a physical ruler instead of using a
> light second to measure length. Why? Using light-second to measure length is
> the same as defining the speed of light equal to c as follows:
> The definition for a meter=1/299,792,458 light-second
> Therefore 1 light-second=299,792,458m
> Therefore the speed of light is by definition =1 light-second/1 second
> =
> 299,792,458m/1 second
>
> Ken Seto

And the reason for this is because...?

#191, ewill3(a)earthlink.net
It's still legal to go .sigless.
From: Dirk Van de moortel on

"The Ghost In The Machine" <ewill(a)sirius.athghost7038suus.net> wrote in message news:e911n2-sei.ln1(a)sirius.athghost7038suus.net...
> In sci.physics, kenseto
> <kenseto(a)erinet.com>
> wrote
> on Wed, 01 Jun 2005 14:36:08 GMT
> <sJjne.12045$XA6.6852(a)tornado.ohiordc.rr.com>:
> > The one-way speed of light is not c if the distance of separation between
> > the two synchronized (using slow transport of the clocks in the opposite
> > directions) clocks is measured using a physical ruler instead of using a
> > light second to measure length. Why? Using light-second to measure length is
> > the same as defining the speed of light equal to c as follows:
> > The definition for a meter=1/299,792,458 light-second
> > Therefore 1 light-second=299,792,458m
> > Therefore the speed of light is by definition =1 light-second/1 second
> > =
> > 299,792,458m/1 second
> >
> > Ken Seto
> >

> And the reason for this is because...?

.... he just gave the reason in the World famous Seto-Why-Clause:

| "Why? Using light-second to measure length is
| the same as defining the speed of light equal to c as follows:
| The definition for a meter=1/299,792,458 light-second
| Therefore 1 light-second=299,792,458m
| Therefore the speed of light is by definition =1 light-second/1 second
| = 299,792,458m/1 second"

Dirk Vdm

From: Sam Wormley on
kenseto wrote:
> The one-way speed of light is not c if the distance of separation between
> the two synchronized (using slow transport of the clocks in the opposite
> directions) clocks is measured using a physical ruler instead of using a
> light second to measure length. Why? Using light-second to measure length is
> the same as defining the speed of light equal to c as follows:
> The definition for a meter=1/299,792,458 light-second
> Therefore 1 light-second=299,792,458m
> Therefore the speed of light is by definition =1 light-second/1 second
> =
> 299,792,458m/1 second
>
> Ken Seto

In a way Seto reminds me of Shead--inability to learn
and being hung up on units. Poor sod.

The speed of light is so well tested that it has become
a *defined* constant of nature! It's that same for all
observers. GPS sends signals one way. GPS offers an
accessible laboratory for confirmation of many SR and GTR
predictions.

There has never been an observation (to date) that has
contradicted a prediction of SR and GTR.

From: Sbharris[atsign]ix.netcom.com on
Indeed. See the really excellent summary of SR tests in:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/experiments.html#moving-source%20tests

Here's a small subsection:

Experiments Using Terrestrial Sources

Beckmann and Mandies, Radio. Sci. 69D (1965), p623.
A moving mirror experiment.
Alvaeger F.J.M. Farley, J. Kjellman and I Wallin, Physics Letters 12,
260 (1964).
Measured the speed of gamma rays from the decay of fast pi0 (~0.99975
c) to be c with a resolution of 400 parts per million.
Sadeh, Phys. Rev. Lett. 10 no. 7 (1963), p271.
Measured the speed of the gammas emitted from e+e- annihilation (with
center-of-mass v/c ~ 0.5) to be c within 10%.
Babcock and Bergmann, Journal Opt. Soc. Amer. Vol. 54, pg 147 (1964).
-
Filipas and Fox, Phys. Rev. 135 no. 4B (1964), p B1071.
Measured the speed of gamma rays from the decay of fast pi0 (~0.2 c)
in an experiment specifically designed to avoid extinction effects.
Their results are in complete disagreement with the assumption c + v,
and are consistent with SR.

Because of the high energies of the gammas in Alvaeger, extinction is
not a problem for it; Filipas and Fox specifically designed their
experiment to avoid extinction."

COMMENT:

We've had some people arguing that one way speed of light velocities
from stars are dithered by the extinction and re-radiation effects of
passage through atmospheres. This turns out to be an OLD argument that
goes all the way back to Ritz in about 1913. Experiments in the 1960's
disproved it finally by using gamma rays, which are not absorbed
re-radiated, and thus retain their initial speed, whatever that is. And
that turns out to be c, even if the gammas come from very fast objects.
Conclusion: Einstein was right.

SBH