From: Paul Stowe on
On 1 Jun 2005 19:44:11 -0700, russell(a)mdli.com wrote:

>Paul Stowe wrote:
>
>[snip]
>
>> If you wish to orient distances based upon OWLS it's pretty
>> straight forward. The Earth rotates and there is a directional
>> in the CMBR. Pick a point on the Earth that is most parallel
>> to the orientation of the CMBR. Next, Set up opposing tracks
>> that are the distance you want. Then, when one of the track
>> direction aligns with the CMBR have the receiver move outward
>> from a repeating pulse transmitter until the desired delay in
>> the reception is achieved. This is a OWL pulse moving from the
>> Transmitter to the receiver. The receiver (having a high
>> precision clock) is computing the difference in reception times
>> to get the increasing delay.
>>
>> Now, wait until the Earth rotates 180ý and the other track aligns
>> in the same direction & repeat. This will assure that BOTH!
>> distance are equal based upon an OWLS measurement.
>
> What does CMBR have to do with this?

If the aether exists, the CMBR illuminates the rest frame. Any
motion wrt this will be detectable by a directionalized doppler
shift. Thus, using the CMBR dipole allows you to orient wrt that
possible aether rest frame. We know the the entire solar system
is moving at ~ 370 kps wrt to the CMBR zero. Thus, sending a
signal along (up or down) that direction will maximize any OWLS
asymmetry.

> You are using slow transport as your synchronization method;

I'm not synchronizing anything (or trying to). We're moving
a predefined distance based upon an assume ct where t is
a predefined delta (or delay). Starting with the transmitter
and receiver together (no delay) and separating while just
listening for the pulses from the transmitter. When the lag
between pulses have increase the defined amount the receiver
stops. The Light pulses all move in one direction only. Thus,
if there is any c +/- v effects they will be 'in there'.

> the lengths are equal if and only if slow transport in
> the two directions induces the same time difference per
> unit distance.

That's the point of waiting for the Earth to rotate 180ý.
The second rail then aligns in space in exactly the same
direction as the earlier one. Same c +/- v, same distance.
EVEN IF, there is an anisotropic OWLS, Right?

Look at my first sentence,

"If you wish to orient distances based upon OWLS it's
pretty straight forward."

To clarify, I should have said,

"If you wish to orient distances of equal length based
upon OWLS it's pretty straight forward."

> Now, if indeed you found that, having done this, the
> wires when brought together are different lengths, you
> would have a significant result, one in conflict with
> Michelson-Morley etc.

No, it wouldn't, even IF so. MMX is TWLS not OWLS. Isn't
that the point?

Paul Stowe
From: Jerry on
Paul Stowe wrote:
> If the aether exists, the CMBR illuminates the rest frame.

Why do you think this?

What makes you so sure that the aether constitutes an
absolutely rigid backdrop for the propagation of EM waves?
Can there not be streams and rivers flowing in the aether?
Can not the aether rotate and swirl, form vortices? Can the
aether not be entrained by the passage of matter?

As you know, many of the early aether theories postulated
such properties for the aether.

So...
What in heck is so special about the CMBR, such that you
postulate that it "illuminates" the universal rest frame,
when many aether theories implicitly deny such a role
by postulating a dynamic, flowing, entrainable aether?

Jerry

From: The Ghost In The Machine on
In sci.physics, Jerry
<Cephalobus_alienus(a)comcast.net>
wrote
on 1 Jun 2005 17:27:25 -0700
<1117672045.562429.47700(a)f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>:
> kenseto wrote:
>
>> Sigh....all these are two-way experiments. The one-way value with two
>> spatially separated and synchronized clocks was never determined. They
>> performed experiments that confirms the one-way isotropy. But the one-way
>> value for those experiments were not reported. Why? Because the one-way
>> value for those experiments was not c.
>
> If OWLS is isotropic, then OWLS must be equal to TWLS.
> OWLS is observed to be isotropic.
> Therefore, OWLS is equal to TWLS.

In any event, if OWLS is *an*isotropic one runs into a variant
of the "headwind/tailwind" problem. Briefly, the photon takes
time d / (c+v) to go there, and time d / (c-v) to come back.
Total time: (d/(c+v) + d/(c-v)) = d( (c+v) + (c-v) )/(c^2-v^2)
= 2dc/(c^2-v^2) != 2d/c, assuming Newtonian physics (which
admittedly isn't quite right).

#191, ewill3(a)earthlink.net
It's still legal to go .sigless.
From: russell on
Paul Stowe wrote:
> On 1 Jun 2005 19:44:11 -0700, russell(a)mdli.com wrote:
>
> >Paul Stowe wrote:
> >
> >[snip]
> >
> >> If you wish to orient distances based upon OWLS it's pretty
> >> straight forward. The Earth rotates and there is a directional
> >> in the CMBR. Pick a point on the Earth that is most parallel
> >> to the orientation of the CMBR. Next, Set up opposing tracks
> >> that are the distance you want. Then, when one of the track
> >> direction aligns with the CMBR have the receiver move outward
> >> from a repeating pulse transmitter until the desired delay in
> >> the reception is achieved. This is a OWL pulse moving from the
> >> Transmitter to the receiver. The receiver (having a high
> >> precision clock) is computing the difference in reception times
> >> to get the increasing delay.
> >>
> >> Now, wait until the Earth rotates 180° and the other track aligns
> >> in the same direction & repeat. This will assure that BOTH!
> >> distance are equal based upon an OWLS measurement.
> >
> > What does CMBR have to do with this?
>
> If the aether exists, the CMBR illuminates the rest frame.

What does it mean for a *frame* to "be illuminated"?
Why don't you just say what you mean -- that you assume
that the CMBR is isotropic in the rest frame of the aether.
That might be a reasonable assumption based on some
cosmological model you are attempting to verify. But it
*is* an assumption and cannot be said to be true until
verified.

Any
> motion wrt this will be detectable by a directionalized doppler
> shift. Thus, using the CMBR dipole allows you to orient wrt that
> possible aether rest frame. We know the the entire solar system
> is moving at ~ 370 kps wrt to the CMBR zero. Thus, sending a
> signal along (up or down) that direction will maximize any OWLS
> asymmetry.

So you think. Perhaps a reasonable place to look first
for asymmetry, but you really don't know.

> > You are using slow transport as your synchronization method;
>
> I'm not synchronizing anything (or trying to).

I can believe you're not trying to.

We're moving
> a predefined distance based upon an assume ct where t is
> a predefined delta (or delay). Starting with the transmitter
> and receiver together (no delay) and separating while just
> listening for the pulses from the transmitter.

Understood; and you have a high precision clock at the
receiver. You assume (or posit) that it stays synchronized
with the pulsing source as it moves. This is what we call
"slow transport". It is a synchronization convention.
However, this only matters if you want to know the exact
distance; I concede that it's not important if your intent
is merely to set equal distances as you describe below.

When the lag
> between pulses have increase the defined amount the receiver
> stops. The Light pulses all move in one direction only. Thus,
> if there is any c +/- v effects they will be 'in there'.
>
> > the lengths are equal if and only if slow transport in
> > the two directions induces the same time difference per
> > unit distance.
>
> That's the point of waiting for the Earth to rotate 180°.
> The second rail then aligns in space in exactly the same
> direction as the earlier one. Same c +/- v, same distance.
> EVEN IF, there is an anisotropic OWLS, Right?

Ok, I get your point this time. There's a problem, though.
Even though you can say that the two tracks are exactly the
same length (i.e. you can in effect use your method as a
definition of length) you still don't know how the aether
affects propagation of signals down wires laid along the
respective tracks. One signal may well propagate faster
than the other, exactly counteracting the anisotropy in LS
that you are attempting to measure. Or perhaps partially.
You can never know by how much, except by measuring it with
a pair of clocks -- and that requires you to specify a
synchronization convention. That scotches any hope of
getting a OWLS measurement independent of convention.

> Look at my first sentence,
>
> "If you wish to orient distances based upon OWLS it's
> pretty straight forward."
>
> To clarify, I should have said,
>
> "If you wish to orient distances of equal length based
> upon OWLS it's pretty straight forward."
>
> > Now, if indeed you found that, having done this, the
> > wires when brought together are different lengths, you
> > would have a significant result, one in conflict with
> > Michelson-Morley etc.

My details here are wrong, based as they were on my
misunderstanding of your setup. Rather, a groundbreaking
result (overthrowing SR) would be any difference in the
respective arrival times of a light pulse emitted from the
central point.

> No, it wouldn't, even IF so. MMX is TWLS not OWLS. Isn't
> that the point?

Sorry, but your method is TWLS too, if you use signals
traveling down the tracks that you have measured.

From: kenseto on

"Jerry" <Cephalobus_alienus(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
> kenseto wrote:
>
> > Sigh....all these are two-way experiments. The one-way value with two
> > spatially separated and synchronized clocks was never determined. They
> > performed experiments that confirms the one-way isotropy. But the
one-way
> > value for those experiments were not reported. Why? Because the one-way
> > value for those experiments was not c.
>
> If OWLS is isotropic, then OWLS must be equal to TWLS.
> OWLS is observed to be isotropic.
> Therefore, OWLS is equal to TWLS.

That's an assumption. Why didn't they report the value for OWLS when they
tested OWLS for isotopy?? Why did they have to assume that OWLS is equal to
TWLS when the value of OWLS is readily available from those experiments??
BTW, the assumption that OWLS is equal to TWLS because OWLS is isotropic is
bogus. Why? Because in TWLS the mirror did not reflect the return signal
instantaneously. In a true OWLS test with two spatially separated and
synchronized clocks there is no such delay.

Ken Seto