From: George Dishman on

"Jerry" <Cephalobus_alienus(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
> Jerry wrote:
>
> > For the receiver at the far end of the first waveguide to be
> > synchronized with the oscillator, the precise value of n must be
> > known. As I have shown above, the precise value of n does not need
> > to be known for the apparatus to be capable of detecting changes
> > in the value of OWLS. Since knowledge of the the precise value of n
> > is not necessary for the apparatus to work, the receiver at the far
> > end of the first waveguide is can not be considered synchronized
> > with the source oscillator.

<snipped to avoid manual indenting>

> Receiver "a" is clearly not equivalent to a synchronized
> clock. Tom's argument, that receiver "a" is a "stand-in" for
> a synchronized clock, does not appear to be valid.

Then argument is valid if the waveguide is
horizontal, however I think you are missing
a more important consideration. What is the
phase relationship between the ends? Does
the receiving end detector respond to phase
velocity or group velocity? If the ends are
in phase as viewed by an observer at rest,
what about an observer moving past? I haven't
looked at the details so I can't venture an
opinion but these aspects are key to the
experimental claims.

HTH
George

From: Jerry on
George Dishman wrote:
> "Jerry" <Cephalobus_alienus(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
> > Jerry wrote:
> >
> > > For the receiver at the far end of the first waveguide to be
> > > synchronized with the oscillator, the precise value of n must be
> > > known. As I have shown above, the precise value of n does not need
> > > to be known for the apparatus to be capable of detecting changes
> > > in the value of OWLS. Since knowledge of the the precise value of n
> > > is not necessary for the apparatus to work, the receiver at the far
> > > end of the first waveguide is can not be considered synchronized
> > > with the source oscillator.
>
> <snipped to avoid manual indenting>
>
> > Receiver "a" is clearly not equivalent to a synchronized
> > clock. Tom's argument, that receiver "a" is a "stand-in" for
> > a synchronized clock, does not appear to be valid.
>
> Then argument is valid if the waveguide is
> horizontal,

Even then, the argument is not valid. Although the first
waveguide is operated "near" cutoff, n is not truly infinity.
Therefore, if an aether exists, receiver "a" and clock "c"
would deviate from each other depending on the orientation
of the waveguide relative to the direction of motion through
the aether.

Gagnon et al.'s apparatus would have been sensitive to
OWLS anisotropy even if they had chosen a relativly modest
multiple for n.

Although Gagnon et al. operated their reference waveguide
near cutoff, so that n was extremely high, I do not believe
that was necessarily the best choice. Near cutoff, most
of the RF is absorbed by the waveguide walls. A major source
of drift in Gagnon et al.'s results originated from heating
effects causing the reference waveguide to warp and change
dimensions. Had they chosen a more modest multiple for n,
I believe their apparatus would have been more stable, at
the cost of being somewhat less sensitive.

> however I think you are missing
> a more important consideration. What is the
> phase relationship between the ends?

That depends on the characteristics of the hypothetical
aether. If the waveguides are stationary relative to the
hypothetical aether, then the waves emergent from the first
waveguide would be retarded by 2pi*fd/nc radians relative
to the source oscillator, while the waves emergent from the
second waveguide would be retarded by 2pi*fd/c radians
relative to the source oscillator.

Assuming a pre-Michelson aether (i.e. one that could have
been detected by MMX), then if the waveguides are moving
parallel relative to the hypothetical aether, the waves
emergent from the first waveguide would be retarded by
2pi*fd/(nc-v) radians relative to the source oscillator,
while the waves emergent from the second waveguide would
be retarded by 2pi*fd/(c-v) radians relative to the source
oscillator.

The difference in phase between the microwaves emergent
from "a" and "b" would amount to 2pi*fd(1/(nc-v)-1/(c-v))
radians. If n is very large, this simplifies to
-2pi*fd/(c-v) radians.

> Does
> the receiving end detector respond to phase
> velocity or group velocity?

Gagnon et al. used continuous RF beams. The receiving
end detector doesn't measure velocity. It is a phase
comparator, measuring relative phase of the two emergent
beams.

The idea is that since the phase velocity of the RF beams
traveling through the two waveguides is different, then
the two beams would be differentially sensitive to the
effects of motion through any hypothetical aether.

> If the ends are
> in phase as viewed by an observer at rest,
> what about an observer moving past?

Shouldn't make a difference.

> I haven't
> looked at the details so I can't venture an
> opinion but these aspects are key to the
> experimental claims.

Jerry

From: The Ghost In The Machine on
In sci.physics, Sam Wormley
<swormley1(a)mchsi.com>
wrote
on Sat, 04 Jun 2005 03:39:14 GMT
<Cn9oe.10555$_o.4638(a)attbi_s71>:
> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
>> In sci.physics, Sam Wormley
>> <swormley1(a)mchsi.com>
>> wrote
>> on Fri, 03 Jun 2005 15:16:11 GMT
>> <%u_ne.9801$_o.6035(a)attbi_s71>:

>>> Wrong again Seto--Satellite xyzt coordinates are determined
>>> from ephemeris data and Receiver xyzt coordinates can be
>>> had from previous survey data.
>>>

>> All meter definitions are currently based on lightspeed.
>> There is, of course, a good reason for this, but it does
>> make the above somewhat self-defeating.
>
> Since distance is defined by light speed... you are essentially
> condemning *all* measurements of the speed of light as self-
> defeating?

It's a bit problematic to measure lightspeed by defining the meter
in terms of lightspeed. Of course, like I said -- the Kr-86
definition did not have sufficient accuracy and all measurements
of lightspeed, before or since, are consistent with an exact
definition of lightspeed as 299792458 m/s -- so why not use it?
However, this does leave an opening for die-hard non-SRians to
assert that there is a conspiracy out there. (Of course, there
isn't anyway, but facts never got in the way of a good rant. :-) )

Personally, I'm not sure how to prove all of this, but
it's clear that there's quite different results predicted
from (my interpretation of) BaT and (my hopefully correct
interpretation of) SR, when it comes to moving objects.

I'll admit I'd like to see an experiment where a satellite
enters Earth's orbit going at 30 km/s in the direction
*opposite* (retrograde) to Earth. Every six months or
so one could measure the delta-frequency shift as the
satellite passes by; for a reference signal of 100 MHz
one should get a SR-consistent shift of about 8 Hz, if my
computations are correct. BaT (I think) predicts about
40 kHz.

Extremely definitive; in fact, so much so that this
experiment needn't require a retrograde satellite; a
satellite otherwise destined to escape the Solar System
would be more than enough. Such a satellite would have
a velocity of about 12 km/s (4 * 10^-5 c) with respect to
the Earth. BaT predicts a 4 kHz adjustment to a 100 MHz
reference signal. SR predicts 0.16 Hz -- if I'm doing this
all correctly.

No doubt such considerations are routine for such missions
as the ones to Mars, and the recent Cassini/Huyguens affair.

And then there's the LHC specifications. I wonder why they
assume protons moving at lightspeed (or so close to lightspeed
that it makes no difference to the pulse frequency)?

Obduh: Duh. :-)

#191, ewill3(a)earthlink.net
It's still legal to go .sigless.
From: shevek4@yahoo.com on

russell(a)mdli.com wrote:
> shevek4(a)yahoo.com wrote:
> > russell(a)mdli.com wrote:

> > > How are you going to measure the local aether flow without
> > > two clocks? You have the same problem. Note that Roberts
> > > said *any* one-way velocity measurement; he wasn't limiting
> > > his comments to light.
> >
> > Good question, I guess this was the point all along of trying to
> > measure OWLS.
> >
> > It doesn't have to be light and clocks.. some kind of sensitive effect
> > on the metric tensor for example, or a quantum mechanical effect. The
> > symmetries of the Lorentz transform do not prove that nobody we cannot
> > know the velocity of the aether.
>
> I think you still missed my point. There is *no*
> way you can eliminate the issue of clocks.

Prove that!

> The best
> you can do is state what your synchronization convention
> is, and what the one-way speed of the aether (or light,
> or a bullet, or a standard snail or whatever) is *wrt*
> that convention.

OK, well what this synchronization convention is could depend on other
measurements.

From: Jerry on
shevek4(a)yahoo.com wrote:
> russell(a)mdli.com wrote:
> > shevek4(a)yahoo.com wrote:
> > >
> > > It doesn't have to be light and clocks.. some kind of
> > > sensitive effect on the metric tensor for example, or a
> > > quantum mechanical effect. The symmetries of the Lorentz
> > > transform do not prove that nobody we cannot know the
> > > velocity of the aether.
> >
> > I think you still missed my point. There is *no*
> > way you can eliminate the issue of clocks.
>
> Prove that!

I'm afraid that if you believe a method exists for measuring
OWLS with one clock, or for detecting local aether flow, the
onus is on -you- to provide a precise description of means
for doing so. Vague descriptions of some "sensitive effect on
the metric tensor for example, or a quantum mechanical effect"
amounts to nothing more than bandying words about.

Jerry