From: Tom Roberts on
Sbharris[atsign]ix.netcom.com wrote:
>>You cannot measure the one way speed of light without
>> making assumptions about clock synchronisation.
>
> I see no reason why the one-way speed of light can't be
> measured in principle with only ONE clock, and signals coming back from
> two gates (triggered by two gamma photons from an annihilation, say).

It simply is not possible to measure any sort of one-way speed using a
single clock. No matter what you do you must arrange for the start and
stop signals to both reach the clock, and that necessarily involves a
closed path for the signals.

> You can pre-synchronize gamma-photon detector gates separated by a
> distance, with a non-moving source of simultaneous photon emission (a
> positron source) midway between them. Or you can synch them when at the
> same spot, then separate them. Keeping the same wires :). This
> involves mighty few assumptions.

But it does involve assumptions about the one-way speed of signal
propagation in those wires. Which is equivalent to assumptions about the
one-way speed of light, which was the point of the measurement. So you
don't have a one-way measurement, you can at best only validate your
assumption.

Tom Roberts tjroberts(a)lucent.com
From: russell on
bz wrote:
> "Jerry" <Cephalobus_alienus(a)comcast.net> wrote in
>
> > It is theoretically possible that the universe is involved in a
> > conspiracy.
> >:-)
> >
> > If you synchronize your gamma-photon detector gates, then separate
> > them, the signal speed in the return path through your cables could
> > vary in exactly such a way as to cancel out your ability to detect
> > OWLS anisotropy.
>
> Double the cable length and run the experiment again.

That won't help. Since two-way propagation through wires is
isotropic -- as has been amply confirmed by experiment --
and since any addition of wire to the middle of your wire
is equivalent to a closed loop, such addition will contribute
nothing to the net anisotropy (if any exists) of the one-way
measurement.

From: Paul Stowe on
On 1 Jun 2005 18:49:20 -0700, russell(a)mdli.com wrote:

>bz wrote:
>> "Jerry" <Cephalobus_alienus(a)comcast.net> wrote in
>>
>>> It is theoretically possible that the universe is involved in a
>>> conspiracy.
>>>:-)
>>>
>>> If you synchronize your gamma-photon detector gates, then separate
>>> them, the signal speed in the return path through your cables could
>>> vary in exactly such a way as to cancel out your ability to detect
>>> OWLS anisotropy.
>>
>> Double the cable length and run the experiment again.
>
> That won't help. Since two-way propagation through wires is
> isotropic -- as has been amply confirmed by experiment --
> and since any addition of wire to the middle of your wire
> is equivalent to a closed loop, such addition will contribute
> nothing to the net anisotropy (if any exists) of the one-way
> measurement.

If you wish to orient distances based upon OWLS it's pretty
straight forward. The Earth rotates and there is a directional
in the CMBR. Pick a point on the Earth that is most parallel
to the orientation of the CMBR. Next, Set up opposing tracks
that are the distance you want. Then, when one of the track
direction aligns with the CMBR have the receiver move outward
from a repeating pulse transmitter until the desired delay in
the reception is achieved. This is a OWL pulse moving from the
Transmitter to the receiver. The receiver (having a high
precision clock) is computing the difference in reception times
to get the increasing delay.

Now, wait until the Earth rotates 180ý and the other track aligns
in the same direction & repeat. This will assure that BOTH!
distance are equal based upon an OWLS measurement.

Paul Stowe

From: rotchm@gmail.com on
>Here's a valid synchronization procedure:
>Two touching and synchronized clocks and move them
>simultaneously in the opposite directions at the same
>speed and then come to a stop
>simultaneously. SR would say that these two clocks
>will remain synchronized .Ken Seto

Ken, just to mention that yes its a synch procedure. However that
procedure implicitly has the cancelling effect of two way light speed.
If that synch procedure were done then as one of the clocks indicates
say 30 seconds and sends a light signal to the other clock, then the
other clock will also indicate 30 seconds on reception of the light
signal. This is what SR and ether theories predict. So that synch
procedure will not invalidate SR.

From: russell on
Paul Stowe wrote:

[snip]

> If you wish to orient distances based upon OWLS it's pretty
> straight forward. The Earth rotates and there is a directional
> in the CMBR. Pick a point on the Earth that is most parallel
> to the orientation of the CMBR. Next, Set up opposing tracks
> that are the distance you want. Then, when one of the track
> direction aligns with the CMBR have the receiver move outward
> from a repeating pulse transmitter until the desired delay in
> the reception is achieved. This is a OWL pulse moving from the
> Transmitter to the receiver. The receiver (having a high
> precision clock) is computing the difference in reception times
> to get the increasing delay.
>
> Now, wait until the Earth rotates 180° and the other track aligns
> in the same direction & repeat. This will assure that BOTH!
> distance are equal based upon an OWLS measurement.

What does CMBR have to do with this? You are using
slow transport as your synchronization method; the
lengths are equal if and only if slow transport in
the two directions induces the same time difference
per unit distance.

Now, if indeed you found that, having done this, the
wires when brought together are different lengths, you
would have a significant result, one in conflict with
Michelson-Morley etc.