From: Sbharris[atsign]ix.netcom.com on
>>But it *does* require you to assume that speed of
propagation in the wires is independent of direction.
Thus essentially begging the question, eh? <<

Not if the two wires are coming in the same direction, it doesn't.
Besides, all this can be tested before the experiment even begins, by
varying gate placement and wire direction. Any such effects will show
themselves during that phase, will they not?

And anyway, what are we testing here? Isotropy of speed of light in
direction of space? Or invarience of speed of photons emitted from a
moving source (such as a neutral pion?). For the second experiment, you
do your gates, and then only the speed of the pion source varies after
that. Since that's the only variable, it's the only variable. End of
story.

SBH

From: bz on
russell(a)mdli.com wrote in news:1117669699.050281.55090
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> But it *does* require you to assume that speed of
> propagation in the wires is independent of direction.
> Thus essentially begging the question, eh?

Testable. So no assumption needed.

Or to be more specific, speed of propagation through the coax is measurable
with the coax in many different physical configurations and could easily be
shown to be independent of configuration (baring kinks or other physical
damage).

--
bz

infinite set.

bz+sp(a)ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap
From: bz on
"Jerry" <Cephalobus_alienus(a)comcast.net> wrote in

> It is theoretically possible that the universe is involved in a
> conspiracy.
>:-)
>
> If you synchronize your gamma-photon detector gates, then separate
> them, the signal speed in the return path through your cables could
> vary in exactly such a way as to cancel out your ability to detect
> OWLS anisotropy.

Double the cable length and run the experiment again.
or
Change the cable for one with a different velocity factor and run the
experiment again.

From: "N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)" <N: dlzc1 D:cox on
Dear bz:

"bz" <bz+sp(a)ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu> wrote in message
> "Jerry" <Cephalobus_alienus(a)comcast.net> wrote in
>
>> It is theoretically possible that the universe is involved in
>> conspiracy.
>>:-)
>>
>> If you synchronize your gamma-photon detector gates, then
>> separate
>> them, the signal speed in the return path through your cables
>> could
>> vary in exactly such a way as to cancel out your ability to
>> detect
>> OWLS anisotropy.
>
> Double the cable length and run the experiment again.
> or
> Change the cable for one with a different velocity factor and
> run the
> experiment again.

length = TWLS measurement. Already forces a measurement of
"OWLS"=c.

David A. Smith

From: russell on
Sbharris[atsign]ix.netcom.com wrote:
> >>But it *does* require you to assume that speed of
> propagation in the wires is independent of direction.
> Thus essentially begging the question, eh? <<
>
> Not if the two wires are coming in the same direction, it doesn't.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the setup is that
you have one wire coming from your source and another
from your detector, which are in different positions.
That being the case, how can the wires "come in the
same direction" for their entire length?

> Besides, all this can be tested before the experiment even begins, by
> varying gate placement and wire direction. Any such effects will show
> themselves during that phase, will they not?

Not independently of one's sychronization convention.

> And anyway, what are we testing here? Isotropy of speed of light in
> direction of space? Or invarience of speed of photons emitted from a
> moving source (such as a neutral pion?). For the second experiment, you
> do your gates, and then only the speed of the pion source varies after
> that. Since that's the only variable, it's the only variable. End of
> story.

Ok yes, you *can* verify the independence of one-way light
speed wrt the speed of the source. But you still won't
know *what* that OWLS is, i.e. have a numeric figure for
it, independent of your synchronization convention. If
you've already acknowledged this (essentially trivial)
point, my apologies. I haven't been following the
thread that well.

(And of course that's not to say the experiment isn't worth
doing. Independence from source velocity is a major result;
my objection is indeed trivial in the sense that it applies
to *every* result that could be obtained experimentally.)