From: russell on
Jerry wrote:
> > making assumptions about clock synchronisation. <<
> >
> > Such as? I see no reason why the one-way speed of light can't be
> > measured in principle with only ONE clock, and signals coming back from
> > two gates (triggered by two gamma photons from an annihilation, say).
> > Are you talking about gate synchronization?
> >
> > You can pre-synchronize gamma-photon detector gates separated by a
> > distance, with a non-moving source of simultaneous photon emission (a
> > positron source) midway between them. Or you can synch them when at the
> > same spot, then separate them. Keeping the same wires :). This
> > involves mighty few assumptions.
>
> Measurement of OWLS inevitably requires making assumptions about
> clock synchronization.

Yes. There is no way around this.

However, Gagnon et al. have described
> an experimental setup which they claim is capable of detecting
> delta-OWLS (i.e. OWLS anisotropy) with one clock. I personally
> am in agreement with Gagnon et al.'s claims, while Tom Roberts,
> Martin Hogbin, and Bill Hobba are not.

I haven't read the paper (no PDF exists at the link site)
but if interferometry or standing waves are used, it
seems to me one has to assume that wavelength anisotropy
(if any such exists) does not, say, exactly compensate for
light speed anisotropy. If that's what they're doing,
they've transformed the OW vs. TW speed issue into a
wavelength vs. speed issue and I don't see how that can
legitimately nullify Roberts et al.'s objection, for
all that is worth. (Which isn't all that much, IMHO, in
terms of practical physics. Its main use is probably to
point out why certain crank theories like DeWitte's are
experimentally indistinguishable from SR, hence not
interesting.)

From: The Ghost In The Machine on
In sci.physics, Sam Wormley
<swormley1(a)mchsi.com>
wrote
on Fri, 03 Jun 2005 15:16:11 GMT
<%u_ne.9801$_o.6035(a)attbi_s71>:
> kenseto wrote:
>> "Sam Wormley" <swormley1(a)mchsi.com> wrote in message
>>

>>> Known xyzt coordinates of GPS satellites.
>>> Known xyzt coordinates of GPS Receiver.
>>> One can figure (measure) the one way speed of light 24/7.
>>

>> That's the reason I call you a runt of the SRians. In order to
>> know the xyzt coordinates you need to use an assumed one-way
>> speed of light.
>>
>> Ken Seto
>>

> Wrong again Seto--Satellite xyzt coordinates are determined
> from ephemeris data and Receiver xyzt coordinates can be
> had from previous survey data.

All meter definitions are currently based on lightspeed.
There is, of course, a good reason for this, but it does
make the above somewhat self-defeating. (The previous
definition, based on wavelengths of Kr-86, had more error
than the deltas seen by earth observers of GPS satellites.)

A better experiment, should it ever come to fruition, is
along the lines of H. Wilson's. Launch three satellites.
Two land on the moon, for calibration. The nearer one will
serve as a relay, with known delay characteristics; the farther
one as a pulse generator to test the relay.

The third satellite continues on and is another pulse generator.
Earthbased observers can directly observe all three satellites.

The experiment will, of course, show nothing, ideally to a high
degree of precision.

In a pinch, the third satellite is largely unnecessary;
neutron stars moving relative to the Earth make dandy
clocks. In certain relativistic star pairs they make even
better confirmers of various GR elements, as well.

Gravity Probe B is continuing. I'll admit I'm not sure how
BaT or KensetoTheory will interpret its results. For
its part GR predicts a torque, AIUI; this torque has already
been confirmed, although with lower accuracy, by observing
the orbits of existing satellites.

And then there's H. Wilson's claims that, somehow, all
Cepheid variables must be eclipsing binaries with a large,
cool star and a hot star co-orbiting, despite the fact
that in order to explain the periods we're seeing they'd
have to be nearly touching -- if not outright swallowing
each other.

*cough*

As for KensetoTheory, I'd have to study it. I'm not really
sure it would be all that fruitful. :-)

#191, ewill3(a)earthlink.net
It's still legal to go .sigless.
From: Jerry on
russell(a)mdli.com wrote:
> Jerry wrote:
> > However, Gagnon et al. have described
> > an experimental setup which they claim is capable of detecting
> > delta-OWLS (i.e. OWLS anisotropy) with one clock. I personally
> > am in agreement with Gagnon et al.'s claims, while Tom Roberts,
> > Martin Hogbin, and Bill Hobba are not.
>
> I haven't read the paper (no PDF exists at the link site)

I don't understand what you mean by that. I just tested the
following links, and they both work:
http://imaginary_nematode.home.comcast.net/Gagnon_et_al_1988.pdf
http://imaginary_nematode.home.comcast.net/LightSpeed.htm

> but if interferometry or standing waves are used,

No, they used traveling waves

> it
> seems to me one has to assume that wavelength anisotropy
> (if any such exists) does not, say, exactly compensate for
> light speed anisotropy. If that's what they're doing,
> they've transformed the OW vs. TW speed issue into a
> wavelength vs. speed issue and I don't see how that can
> legitimately nullify Roberts et al.'s objection, for
> all that is worth.

Read the paper rather than speculating on what they -might-
have done. It's a very clever experimental arrangement.

> (Which isn't all that much, IMHO, in
> terms of practical physics. Its main use is probably to
> point out why certain crank theories like DeWitte's are
> experimentally indistinguishable from SR, hence not
> interesting.)

Jerry

From: shevek4@yahoo.com on

russell(a)mdli.com wrote:
> shevek wrote:
> > russell(a)mdli.com wrote:
> > >
> > > [snip]

> > > How? You would still have to synchronize two clocks, or
> > > alternatively do a TWLS measurement and infer OWLS from
> > > theory. Arguably that inference would seem more natural,
> > > but it would still be an inference.
> >
> > Yes, it would be an inference. Of course if your knowledge of local
> > aether flow speed is justified, the inference and measurement of OWLS
> > is justified.
>
> How are you going to measure the local aether flow without
> two clocks? You have the same problem. Note that Roberts
> said *any* one-way velocity measurement; he wasn't limiting
> his comments to light.

Good question, I guess this was the point all along of trying to
measure OWLS.

It doesn't have to be light and clocks.. some kind of sensitive effect
on the metric tensor for example, or a quantum mechanical effect. The
symmetries of the Lorentz transform do not prove that nobody we cannot
know the velocity of the aether.

From: bsr3997@my-deja.com on

russell(a)mdli.com wrote:
> Jerry wrote:
> > > making assumptions about clock synchronisation. <<
> > >
> > > Such as? I see no reason why the one-way speed of light can't be
> > > measured in principle with only ONE clock, and signals coming back from
> > > two gates (triggered by two gamma photons from an annihilation, say).
> > > Are you talking about gate synchronization?
> > >
> > > You can pre-synchronize gamma-photon detector gates separated by a
> > > distance, with a non-moving source of simultaneous photon emission (a
> > > positron source) midway between them. Or you can synch them when at the
> > > same spot, then separate them. Keeping the same wires :). This
> > > involves mighty few assumptions.
> >
> > Measurement of OWLS inevitably requires making assumptions about
> > clock synchronization.
>
> Yes. There is no way around this.
>
> However, Gagnon et al. have described
> > an experimental setup which they claim is capable of detecting
> > delta-OWLS (i.e. OWLS anisotropy) with one clock. I personally
> > am in agreement with Gagnon et al.'s claims, while Tom Roberts,
> > Martin Hogbin, and Bill Hobba are not.
>
> I haven't read the paper (no PDF exists at the link site)
> but if interferometry or standing waves are used, it
> seems to me one has to assume that wavelength anisotropy
> (if any such exists) does not, say, exactly compensate for
> light speed anisotropy. If that's what they're doing,
> they've transformed the OW vs. TW speed issue into a
> wavelength vs. speed issue and I don't see how that can
> legitimately nullify Roberts et al.'s objection, for
> all that is worth. (Which isn't all that much, IMHO, in
> terms of practical physics. Its main use is probably to
> point out why certain crank theories like DeWitte's are
> experimentally indistinguishable from SR, hence not
> interesting.)

How's this for a test

Source A and detectors at D and E are at rest while source B moves. A
and B are emitting a series of random dots and dashes. If you could
show that a sequence from A arrived at D before a particular sequence
from B, and then the sequence from B passed the sequence from A,
arriving at E first, it would disprove both ether theory and SR. No
clocks are needed at the detectors.

Bruce