From: bz on
The Ghost In The Machine <ewill(a)sirius.athghost7038suus.net> wrote in

> In sci.physics, bz
> <bz+sp(a)ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu>
> wrote
> on Mon, 6 Jun 2005 11:44:49 +0000 (UTC)
> <Xns966D44A70B5E5WQAHBGMXSZHVspammote(a)130.39.198.139>:
>> H@..(Henri Wilson) wrote in
>>
>>> According to the BaT, light will move at c wrt every component in the
>>> apparatus and therefore the travel time in both directions will be the
>>> same.
>>>

>> how can it do so when different components are traveling at different
>> velocities wrt the apparatus. For example, in a paricle accelerator.
>>
>> I thought BaT said light will move at c wrt the emitting body
>> irrespective of the motions of anything else in the universe.
>
> No, BaT merely says light moves at c *only* with respect to the
> emitting body *at* the point of the emission.

ok.

> After that, the
> photon slows down, speeds up, changes direction, etc. like
> any other Galilean particle moving at speed c, when encounting
> gravitational fields and moving observers.

How would you compare this to SR/GR photons?

> In one example, if hot gasses swirling around a black hole are
> emitting at c, we would measure the photons moving slower than c.
>
> However, MMX cannot measure this change. (It wasn't designed to.)

Henri keeps saying that photons emitted by particles moving near c in a
particle accelerator won't show c'=c+v because of [insert hand waving
here].

I want a real explaination, not hand waving.

--
bz

infinite set.

bz+sp(a)ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap
From: Henri Wilson on
On 6 Jun 2005 04:29:33 -0700, "Jerry" <Cephalobus_alienus(a)comcast.net> wrote:

>Henri Wilson wrote:
>> On 1 Jun 2005 14:57:25 -0700, "Sbharris[atsign]ix.netcom.com"
>> <sbharris(a)ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
>> >We've had some people arguing that one way speed of light velocities
>> >from stars are dithered by the extinction and re-radiation effects of
>> >passage through atmospheres. This turns out to be an OLD argument that
>> >goes all the way back to Ritz in about 1913. Experiments in the 1960's
>> >disproved it finally by using gamma rays, which are not absorbed
>> >re-radiated, and thus retain their initial speed, whatever that is. And
>> >that turns out to be c, even if the gammas come from very fast objects.
>> >Conclusion: Einstein was right.
>>
>> You Silly twisted boy!
>
>(sigh)
>Download Filipas and Fox and -read- it. All of your objections
>are answered. You have nothing to stand on.
>http://imaginary_nematode.home.comcast.net/Filippas_Fox_1964.pdf

You don't really think that experiment proves anything do you?
It contains so many asumptions it could produce any answers you can name.

>> Sometimes I feel like a complete failure.
>
>You ARE a complete failure.

Silly boy!

>> The most useful thing I have ever done is prove Einstein wrong.
>
>Jerry

HW.
www.users.bigpond.com/hewn/index.htm

From: Henri Wilson on
On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 15:00:05 GMT, The Ghost In The Machine
<ewill(a)sirius.athghost7038suus.net> wrote:

>In sci.physics, H@..(Henri Wilson)
><H@>
> wrote
>on Mon, 06 Jun 2005 10:55:55 GMT
><0ha8a1lchmt5u3o3cedvslp5tf2uermhn0(a)4ax.com>:
>> On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 01:00:07 GMT, The Ghost In The Machine
>> <ewill(a)sirius.athghost7038suus.net> wrote:
>>
>>>In sci.physics, Sam Wormley
>>><swormley1(a)mchsi.com>
>>> wrote
>>>on Sat, 04 Jun 2005 03:39:14 GMT

>>>It's a bit problematic to measure lightspeed by defining the meter
>>>in terms of lightspeed.
>>
>> This is quite funny really.
>>
>> Which light speed are you referring to?
>
>The light speed that is used in the definition of the length unit being
>used to measure lightspeed.

The interferometers used as standards work on TWLS.
So do surveyor's theodolites.

When all parts of the experiment are mutually at rest, TWLS = OWLS = c.
That is correct according to the BaT but not any other theory. The method is
universally accepted.... and it works.

>> You cannot use OWLS because it has no particular value.
>
>OWLS has a value. It depends on the emission method.
>SR states flatly that it's always c. BaT, presumably,
>states otherwise. However, I'd have to see the details,
>and in any event it still depends on the movement of the
>measurement device with the emitter, and any gravfields
>in between.

The effect os gravity are very small and can be ignored in all practical
situations.
Otherwise what you say is correct. OWLS=TWLS=C when everything is mutually at
rest.

>> Distance can be meaured with TWLS because it IS
>> effectively constant in most practical situations.
>> If that were not true, surveying would be in chaos.
>
>Surveying rarely requires anything more than a few parts
>per million.

It is extremely accurate.

>> OWLS=TWLS=C, if everything is mutually at rest.
>
>And *only* if everything is mutually at rest, and in a relatively
>strain-free space, in BaT. SR says OLWS=TWLS always.
>
>Which is right?

SR says OWLS=TWLS only if clocks are E-synched.
Einstein was unwittingly correct in this because E-synching is absolute
synching.

From: Henri Wilson on
On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 11:44:49 +0000 (UTC), bz <bz+sp(a)ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu> wrote:

>H@..(Henri Wilson) wrote in
>
>> According to the BaT, light will move at c wrt every component in the
>> apparatus and therefore the travel time in both directions will be the
>> same.
>>

>how can it do so when different components are traveling at different
>velocities wrt the apparatus. For example, in a paricle accelerator.

The above statement refered to experiments in which all components are mutually
at rest.

>I thought BaT said light will move at c wrt the emitting body irrespective of
>the motions of anything else in the universe.

It does.
What's wrong with that?

Incidentally, a decaying particle cannot be assumed to constitute a normal
source.

From: Henri Wilson on
On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 19:59:48 +0100, "George Dishman" <george(a)briar.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

>"The Ghost In The Machine" <ewill(a)sirius.athghost7038suus.net> wrote in
>message news:v53en2-mnu.ln1(a)sirius.athghost7038suus.net...
>>
>> No, BaT merely says light moves at c *only* with respect to the
>> emitting body *at* the point of the emission. After that, the
>> photon slows down, speeds up, changes direction, etc. like
>> any other Galilean particle moving at speed c, when encounting
>> gravitational fields and moving observers.
>>
>> In one example, if hot gasses swirling around a black hole are
>> emitting at c, we would measure the photons moving slower than c.
>>
>> However, MMX cannot measure this change. (It wasn't designed to.)
>
>No, but the Sagnac experiment can. The results
>are compatible with light moving at c in the lab
>frame regardless of the speed of the source but
>not with the ballistic model. There was a long
>thread on this between Henri and myself a few
>weeks back.

Don't tell lies George.