From: The Ghost In The Machine on
In sci.physics, bz
<bz+sp(a)ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu>
wrote
on Mon, 6 Jun 2005 11:44:49 +0000 (UTC)
<Xns966D44A70B5E5WQAHBGMXSZHVspammote(a)130.39.198.139>:
> H@..(Henri Wilson) wrote in
>
>> According to the BaT, light will move at c wrt every component in the
>> apparatus and therefore the travel time in both directions will be the
>> same.
>>

> how can it do so when different components are traveling at different
> velocities wrt the apparatus. For example, in a paricle accelerator.
>
> I thought BaT said light will move at c wrt the emitting body irrespective of
> the motions of anything else in the universe.

No, BaT merely says light moves at c *only* with respect to the
emitting body *at* the point of the emission. After that, the
photon slows down, speeds up, changes direction, etc. like
any other Galilean particle moving at speed c, when encounting
gravitational fields and moving observers.

In one example, if hot gasses swirling around a black hole are
emitting at c, we would measure the photons moving slower than c.

However, MMX cannot measure this change. (It wasn't designed to.)

#191, ewill3(a)earthlink.net
It's still legal to go .sigless.
From: George Dishman on

"The Ghost In The Machine" <ewill(a)sirius.athghost7038suus.net> wrote in
message news:v53en2-mnu.ln1(a)sirius.athghost7038suus.net...

> No, BaT merely says light moves at c *only* with respect to the
> emitting body *at* the point of the emission. After that, the
> photon slows down, speeds up, changes direction, etc. like
> any other Galilean particle moving at speed c, when encounting
> gravitational fields and moving observers.
>
> In one example, if hot gasses swirling around a black hole are
> emitting at c, we would measure the photons moving slower than c.
>
> However, MMX cannot measure this change. (It wasn't designed to.)

No, but the Sagnac experiment can. The results
are compatible with light moving at c in the lab
frame regardless of the speed of the source but
not with the ballistic model. There was a long
thread on this between Henri and myself a few
weeks back.

George

From: George Dishman on

"Jerry" <Cephalobus_alienus(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
> Henri Wilson wrote:
>
>> Sometimes I feel like a complete failure.
>
> You ARE a complete failure.

Not so Jerry, a few weeks ago Henri posted a
Visual Basic program illustration how the
Sagnac experiment falsified the Ritzian
(ballistic light) model. While there were
some details to be resolved, he showed it
produced an error of "a factor of about 2".

Henri, how is your program development going?
Have you got the beams to coincide on the
detector yet?

George

From: russell on
shevek4(a)yahoo.com wrote:
> russell(a)mdli.com wrote:
> > shevek4(a)yahoo.com wrote:

> > > Good question, I guess this was the point all along of trying to
> > > measure OWLS.
> > >
> > > It doesn't have to be light and clocks.. some kind of sensitive effect
> > > on the metric tensor for example, or a quantum mechanical effect. The
> > > symmetries of the Lorentz transform do not prove that nobody we cannot
> > > know the velocity of the aether.
> >
> > I think you still missed my point. There is *no*
> > way you can eliminate the issue of clocks.
>
> Prove that!

Well, I would almost say even *that* misses the point. It's
not yet even in the realm of proof or disproof; it has to do
with definitions. To say that something has such-and-such a
one-way speed, it means to me that (in principle at least)
you can put clock A here, clock B there, mark what A reads
when the something passes A and what B reads when the same
something passes B, take the difference in times and divide
that into the distance by which A and B are separated, and
thereby arrive at the claimed value. Do you have a different
definition for one-way speed? (I don't just mean a better-
stated one, which wouldn't be hard to come up with, but rather
one that differs fundamentally from what I just said.)

> > The best
> > you can do is state what your synchronization convention
> > is, and what the one-way speed of the aether (or light,
> > or a bullet, or a standard snail or whatever) is *wrt*
> > that convention.
> >

> OK, well what this synchronization convention is could depend on other
> measurements.

Not in any sense that is absolutely dictated to us by nature.
That's why the word "convention" is apt. It's a matter of
our choice. Nature dictates that some choices will be easier
than others, no argument there.

From: Henri Wilson on
On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 20:03:15 +0100, "George Dishman" <george(a)briar.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

>"Jerry" <Cephalobus_alienus(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Henri Wilson wrote:
>>
>>> Sometimes I feel like a complete failure.
>>
>> You ARE a complete failure.
>
>Not so Jerry, a few weeks ago Henri posted a
>Visual Basic program illustration how the
>Sagnac experiment falsified the Ritzian
>(ballistic light) model. While there were
>some details to be resolved, he showed it
>produced an error of "a factor of about 2".

Don't lie George.
My program obvioously surprised you because it proved what I wa saying all
along.
The sagnac effect occurs no matter what light speed is used.
It certainly does not prove the BaT wrong.

>Henri, how is your program development going?
>Have you got the beams to coincide on the
>detector yet?

They only coincide when there is no rotation.
That's the main principle behind the sagnac effect.
..

>George

HW.
www.users.bigpond.com/hewn/index.htm

Sometimes I feel like a complete failure.
The most useful thing I have ever done is prove Einstein wrong.