From: Tim Wescott on
On 06/14/2010 04:34 AM, carl.hallqvist wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I will design a lowpass, bandpass, highpass FIR filter (configurable) in a
> FPGA used for an audio application.
>
> My plan is to design a FIR filter and an allpass filter in cascade.
>
> Will that work and if it does, is there any better options?

Work for what? Why do you feel you need an all pass filter? Why do you
feel you need an FIR filter?

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
From: Richard Dobson on
On 14/06/2010 16:16, Vladimir Vassilevsky wrote:

> Richard Dobson wrote:
>
>> On 14/06/2010 15:41, Vladimir Vassilevsky wrote:

>>> FPGA for audio application = oxymoron.
>>>

>> Huh? Used all over the place. Probably most prominent is the Fairlight
>> Crystal Core system:
>>
>> http://www.dsp-fpga.com/news/db/?7183
>
> An example of oxymoron.

Clearly, you know what you mean. I don't know what you mean. Commercial
people are using FPGAs for audio, and it appears to be a rising trend.
Care to elaborate, or are you determined to remain mystically cryptic?

Richard Dobson

From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
Vladimir Vassilevsky <nospam(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
(snip, someone wrote)

>> I will design a lowpass, bandpass, highpass FIR filter
> (configurable) in a FPGA used for an audio application.

> FPGAs suitable for signal processing are outrageously expensive.
> FPGA for audio application = oxymoron.

The smaller FPGAs are very affordable. Whether one can do a
given signal processing problem is a different question.

Low end FPGAs are down in the few dollars each range, and
can hold a fairly large amount of logic, in the tens to
hundreds of thousands of gates range.

The applications are more obvious for a (relatively) small
amount of processing at a high speed, but with some amount
of multiplexing you can do a large amount of processing at
a slow (audio) speed.

The ones with built-in DSPs are expensive, so don't use those.

-- glen