From: carl.hallqvist on
Hello.

I will design a lowpass, bandpass, highpass FIR filter (configurable) in a
FPGA used for an audio application.

My plan is to design a FIR filter and an allpass filter in cascade.

Will that work and if it does, is there any better options?

Thanks,

From: Rune Allnor on
On 14 Jun, 13:34, "carl.hallqvist"
<carl.hallqvist(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I will design a lowpass, bandpass, highpass FIR filter (configurable) in a
> FPGA used for an audio application.
>
> My plan is to design a FIR filter and an allpass filter in cascade.
>
> Will that work and if it does, is there any better options?

How long is a string?

From a purely technical POV this will work (possibly some
effort required to whip the FPGA into submission).

Whether the filter does what you want is a completely different
question, that can not be answered until you state what you
want the filter to do.

Rune
From: Vladimir Vassilevsky on

carl.hallqvist wrote:

> Hello.

Hello STUPIDENT.

> I will design a lowpass, bandpass, highpass FIR filter (configurable) in a
> FPGA used for an audio application.

FPGAs suitable for signal processing are outrageously expensive.
FPGA for audio application = oxymoron.

> My plan is to design a FIR filter and an allpass filter in cascade.

The purpose of this?

> Will that work and if it does, is there any better options?

Do not use FIR filters for audio applications unless you really know
what you doing. Use IIR biquads.

Vladimir Vassilevsky
DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant
http://www.abvolt.com
From: Richard Dobson on
On 14/06/2010 15:41, Vladimir Vassilevsky wrote:

> FPGA for audio application = oxymoron.

Huh? Used all over the place. Probably most prominent is the Fairlight
Crystal Core system:

http://www.dsp-fpga.com/news/db/?7183

Richard Dobson

From: Vladimir Vassilevsky on

Richard Dobson wrote:

> On 14/06/2010 15:41, Vladimir Vassilevsky wrote:

>> FPGA for audio application = oxymoron.
>>

> Huh? Used all over the place. Probably most prominent is the Fairlight
> Crystal Core system:
>
> http://www.dsp-fpga.com/news/db/?7183

An example of oxymoron.

VLV