From: Charles Densem on
I recently assigned myself to the task of refurbishing a barebones
Gateway Solo 2500. It has RAM, a DVD drive, a video card, and not much
else. When I start it up (with the power cord, there is no battery),
the power led comes on, and it begins to access the bootable cd that I
have in the drive. Near as I can tell, it finishes. The problem is, the
screen is completely black, as if it did not turn on. This makes it
rather hard to see if the boot process is working, as one might
imagine. I would contact Gateway tech support, but I would rather not
pay for a service that probably won't help anyway. So i post here, and
wait for anyone who knows what the problem is to post. Please help.

From: BillW50 on
"Charles Densem" <charles.densem(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> I recently assigned myself to the task of refurbishing a barebones
> Gateway Solo 2500. It has RAM, a DVD drive, a video card, and not much
> else. When I start it up (with the power cord, there is no battery),
> the power led comes on, and it begins to access the bootable cd that I
> have in the drive. Near as I can tell, it finishes. The problem is,
> the screen is completely black, as if it did not turn on. This makes
> it rather hard to see if the boot process is working, as one might
> imagine. I would contact Gateway tech support, but I would rather not
> pay for a service that probably won't help anyway. So i post here, and
> wait for anyone who knows what the problem is to post. Please help.

Could be a bad inverter or back lamp. Does it work with an external
monitor?

--
Bill

From: Pop` on
Charles Densem wrote:
> I recently assigned myself to the task of refurbishing a barebones
> Gateway Solo 2500. It has RAM, a DVD drive, a video card, and not much
> else. When I start it up (with the power cord, there is no battery),
> the power led comes on, and it begins to access the bootable cd that I
> have in the drive. Near as I can tell, it finishes. The problem is,
> the screen is completely black, as if it did not turn on. This makes
> it rather hard to see if the boot process is working, as one might
> imagine. I would contact Gateway tech support, but I would rather not
> pay for a service that probably won't help anyway. So i post here, and
> wait for anyone who knows what the problem is to post. Please help.

Depending on what you mean by "barebones", it may simply mean that the
screen connector isn't completely seated or is otherwise messed up. Usually
it's a panel across the front that just snaps out to expose the cabling.

Can you try hooking up an external monitor? That would tell whether the
video stuff is working maybe.

If you aren't getting any POST beeps, then it's probably booting. AFAIK
there will either be NO or one single beep when the POST completes.
I looked thru the user manual but didn't see anything useful to your
problem.

HTH
Pop`

From: Charles Densem on
Hi all, thanks for posting. I did plug in an external monitor, and it
got a "no signal" light (amber). However, it could be possible that it
(the Gateway) is stuck in LCD mode, as opposed to CRT. There is a
keyboard combination that would switch it, but I have my doubts about
the keyboard as well.

From: BillW50 on
> Hi all, thanks for posting. I did plug in an external monitor, and it
> got a "no signal" light (amber). However, it could be possible that it
> (the Gateway) is stuck in LCD mode, as opposed to CRT. There is a
> keyboard combination that would switch it, but I have my doubts about
> the keyboard as well.

Yes the keyboard combo works for most models. Also some also has a
setting in the BIOS settings what to use when just starting. I wouldn't
discount that the CMOS battery might be shot, or might need recharging.
Some just plug in under AC and it charges the CMOS battery. Some only
charges the battery when the power is on.

--
Bill