From: Bryan_Clark on

As another business person who does 'photo scanning'
(http://www.dvdyourmemories.com/services/photo-scanning/), I was *-very
unhappy-* with this particular scanner, however, the issues I have with
this scanner are apparently problems with ALL "feeder" type scanners.

When this type of scanner scans, because the images pass over the glass
and the scanning optics stay stationary, any dust that is on the glass
is translated into a red, blue, or green line through your photos. This
wouldn't be so bad (since cleaning is pretty easy), but because you have
a constant motion of objects passing over a single object, static builds
quickly and this attracts more dust. Put this together with the fact
that most people's photos are dusty, and you have a recipe for
frustration and lost time.

Sometimes we could run a couple hundred pictures before seeing these
lines, other times it was less than one which brought the realistic
image-per-minute speed far far less than what is advertised (we'd think
it was clean, and something would show up on the first image and we'd
have to clean it over again). Because of the inconsistency of the
quality, the time involved in cleaning, and the frustration with it
consistently needing it to be cleaned and re-cleaned (no single issue or
piece of equipment in my company has been the source of more frustration
than this machine), sometimes after only one or two photos, we decided
as a company to not use this scanner for anything other than black and
white document scanning (where dust is not as big of an issue).
Countless hours were wasted trying to figure out if it could possible be
user error, or if there was a better way to use it in order to avoid
this issue (without success).

Instead, we run flatbed scanners that have "single pass multi-crop", a
feature which makes flatbed scanning go much faster. It does exactly
what it sounds like- you load multiple pictures on the tray, and the
optics make one pass and digitally crop the images afterward. Many
scanners claim they do multiple cropping, but they have to make a pass
for each image. Canon is the only company I know that does it in one,
which saves a significant amount of time if you have hundreds of photos
to scan.

While I might recommend the Kodak s1220 to someone who just needs
things for a digital record (lawyers, HR departments, business archives)
I would not recommend it to someone who would like good quality images.

My recommendation is to skip it, buy 2 workhorse computers and 2 'Canon
Canoscan 8800f'
(http://www.google.com/products?oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=canoscan%208800f&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wf)s
and operate them next to each other. Sure it may take a little more
time, but the quality is immensely better and you'll keep all your hair.

From: jmj1459 on

You can use the crop and straighten tool to scan and split out multiple
photos with photoshop. Try this guide:

'Scanning photos using Photoshop'
(http://www.ancestrychronicles.com/Articles/ViewArticle.aspx?Article=Scanning_Family_Photos_Using_Adobe_Photoshop_CS3)
:)