From: John on
I want the my bacthfile code to produce (including the spaces):
copy /y "c:\this dir\this file.txt" d:
copy /y "c:\next dir\next file.txt" d:
copy /y "c:\last dir\last file.txt" d:
Instead, I just get code with the set var names;
copy /y "c:\x1" d:
copy /y "c:\x2" d:
copy /y "c:\x3" d:
How do I correct my "c:\x%%a" substitution syntax in the following code to
produce the correct copy stmt?
@echo off
set x1=c:\this dir\this file.txt
set x2=c:\next dir\next file.txt
set x3=c:\last dir\last file.txt
for /L %%a in (1,1,3) do (
echo copy /y "c:\x%%a" d:
)
I appreciate your help, -John

From: Twayne on
For the best batchfile information, try alt.msdos.batch.nt where the
best responses can be had.

HTH,

Twayne`

In news:ADD584C5-129F-41D4-A2CA-E8C074D9E8EB(a)microsoft.com,
John <John(a)discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

From: John on
I'm pretty green at this discussion groups thing. How do I access
alt.msdos.batch.nt? I've never used a newsreader, just use IE8.

I tried downloading Grabit & signed up for the service, but I can't get it
to work.

Any help would be appreciated. -John
From: Pegasus [MVP] on

"John" <John(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm pretty green at this discussion groups thing. How do I access
> alt.msdos.batch.nt? I've never used a newsreader, just use IE8.
>
> I tried downloading Grabit & signed up for the service, but I can't get it
> to work.
>
> Any help would be appreciated. -John

You're doing yourself a disservice by using a browser for a newsreader. Much
easier to use a proper newsreader, e.g. Outlook Express. Ask your provider
for the name of his news server - it is usually something like
news.MyISP.com. Now check this guide
http://michaelstevenstech.com/outlookexpressnewreader.htm but replace
msnews.microsoft.com with your ISP's news server. After selecting the
newsgroup that John mentioned, create your own post. Remember to post *all*
relevant details when asking a question. Respondents get turned off when
confronted with a "creeping scope" question because it tends to waste a lot
of time.