From: Justin Caise Justin on
Hey hi,

I recently secured my home wireless network connection by password
protecting the westell 327W router. Everything works fine (Web, printers,
etc) from all ends of the house except the errors at outlook when I
send/receive.
These are the error messages that come up.
Task 'pop.gmail - Sending and Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC0D) :
'Unable to find the e-mail server. Please verify the server information in
your account properties.'

Task 'pop.gmail.com - Sending and Receiving' reported error (0x80042108) :
'Outlook is unable to connect to your incoming (POP3) e-mail server. If you
continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or
Internet service provider (ISP).'

I ran through google and microsoft troubleshooter which suggested updates
(of course, done) and a a telnet test, which will check that your computer
can contact our SMTP servers. It failed that telnet test so... that means...

The error you're experiencing indicates that your network is blocking access
to Gmail's POP servers.

Any idea how to make my outlook talk to the gmail servers through my security?

I'm running Win XP by the way. And send receive worked fine before the "key"
change at the wireless.

Thanks, JC

From: smlunatick on
On Mar 5, 4:35 am, Justin Caise <Justin
Ca...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hey hi,
>
> I recently secured my home wireless network connection by password
> protecting the westell 327W router. Everything works fine (Web, printers,
> etc) from all ends of the house except the errors at outlook when I
> send/receive.
> These are the error messages that come up.
> Task 'pop.gmail - Sending and Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC0D) :
> 'Unable to find the e-mail server.  Please verify the server information in
> your account properties.'
>
> Task 'pop.gmail.com - Sending and Receiving' reported error (0x80042108) :
> 'Outlook is unable to connect to your incoming (POP3) e-mail server. If you
> continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or
> Internet service provider (ISP).'
>
> I ran through google and microsoft troubleshooter which suggested updates
> (of course, done) and a a telnet test, which will check that your computer
> can contact our SMTP servers. It failed that telnet test so... that means....
>
> The error you're experiencing indicates that your network is blocking access
> to Gmail's POP servers.
>
> Any idea how to make my outlook talk to the gmail servers through my security?
>
> I'm running Win XP by the way. And send receive worked fine before the "key"
> change at the wireless.
>
> Thanks, JC

Check your ISP server settings and all / any anti-virus settings. It
is not a problem with the wireless security as you can connect to the
"web" in Internet Explorer.
From: Jack [MVP-Networking] on
Hi
If you temporarily disable the Wireless Security do you get the connection
back?
Wireless Security is Not suppose to effect the content of the Network
signal.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

From: Justin Caise on
Yes, that's it.
It took me quite a while to gather the gumption to mess with the router
settings myself - I had an IT friend set it up before - but this neccesitated
my fuddling with it.
Now I know how to fuddle!

-Entered the routers address into my browsers address bar and it opened the
settings for the router, which allows me to change the firewall settings..
seems easy and simple now that I've done it.
Thanks.