From: dsasorin on
Hi !

I am a beginner to databeses, and particulary to MS Access 2003. (althought I
passed the first lessons)
I want to make a small database with possibility to grow up. (max. 100
entries for a table)
I think that in my case the data must be structured like loop into loop.
Like that:

Year:
2000
2001
2002
2003
etc.

Plant:
plant_1
plant_2
plant_3
etc.

Generator:
gen_1
gen_2
gen_3
etc.

So for every Year it must exist some Power Plants, and for every Power Plant
it must exist some Generators.
I already have made 3 tables: YEAR, PLANT, GENERATOR with data in it.
So, few questions arise:

1. Is my algorithm any good (to consider 3 loops one in another for database)
?
2. If my algorithm is good, how should it be done the relationship between
tables ?

That is for start. Later i must make queries, input data, some logical
comparison, etc.
So i must do right from the beginning. I admit that my database must be done
for 8 loops, not 3, but if i understand for 3, the same it will be for 8.

Thanks in advance for help !

From: Gina Whipp on
dsasorin,

Well, at least one of those tables is wrong and you are missing one,
possibly two tables. I am not totally clear what you are doing but I can
say this... it seems odd that you need a table for years. Sounds like you
need a *joiner* table.

tblPowerPlants
pPowerPlantID (PK - Autonumber)
etc...

tblGenerators
gGeneratorID (PK - Autonumber)
etc...

tblPowerPlantGenerators
ppgPowerPlantGeneratorID (PK - Autonumber)
ppgPowerPlantID (FK - Long)
ppgGeneratorID (FK - Long)

tblPowerPlantYears
ppgPowerPlantGeneratorID (FK - Long)
ppgYear (Combo Box with years)

If you explain your purpose a little more it would help to give you a more
precise answer. I also don't understand the *looping*, what are the loops
for? Out of curiousity, what were the first lessons?

--
Gina Whipp
2010 Microsoft MVP (Access)

II

From: Abki on
I hope u need data for all tables.

1) You can go thru all tables and data with 1 loop if you do join all tables
in 1 singel select.

2) If the select is manually written it can be like this:
SELECT *
FROM YEAR,
PLANT,
GENERATOR
WHERE PLANT.FK = YEAR PK
AND GENERATOR FK = PLANT.PK

PK = Primary key, FK = foriegn key
You will have 1 row for each unik kombination.

From: dsasorin via AccessMonster.com on
The goal is to make a growing database (a programm) with inputs like
year2010/powerplant 3/generator1/ .... or year 2012/powerplant7/generator3
and so on ...

Then, the programm must have a simple user interface with those inputs. In
the database tables i must asign diferent numbers (points) on specific tasks
of the generator for example, and after a logical comparison and arithmetic
calculations, it must result a number of points. So i need to input/select
new data, to see/select old data, and after that i need a result (number of
points) which coresponds to a certain ANSWER, introduced in the very
beginning of the database (i.e. THE GENERATOR IS GOOD), also a table, i think.

So, the purpose of the database is to find the state of the generator, based
on the actions or the maintenance work made on each generator from database,
and a new one.
The criteria is based on those points and arithmetic calculations.

Thank you for interest.

From: dsasorin via AccessMonster.com on
I forgot that you put me a simple question. My first lessons were like this
(Access 2003): What is a database ? The components of a database (the objects)
. How to sort data in tables ? and thinks like that ...