From: Mario on
Hello everybody.

I have begun studying C++ some days ago and as many people
(unfortunately) I'm studying on my own.
Even being a bit old(that means 32 years old, :P) to begin
programming
in yet another language and so not so much time available(job, kid
and
so on.).

I'd like to propose a group of studies of C++ self-learners like
myself.
To go through exercises, discussions or something related.
We can name a book to go study chapters together.
Like get a chapter a week or so.

If someone is interested in beginning studying as part of a group,
please, drop me a line.

Best regards,
Mario
PS: Sorry for the possible English mistakes(I am from France, ;p)
From: Robert Billing on
We, the Senate of Arcturus, take note that Mario said:

> Hello everybody.
>
> I have begun studying C++ some days ago and as many people
> (unfortunately) I'm studying on my own. Even being a bit old(that means
> 32 years old, :P) to begin programming
> in yet another language and so not so much time available(job, kid and
> so on.).

Old? I'm 55 and I picked up most of C++ in 3 weekends.
From: Francesco S. Carta on
Robert Billing <unclebob(a)tnglwood.demon.co.uk>, on 13/08/2010 18:11:35,
wrote:

> We, the Senate of Arcturus, take note that Mario said:
>
>> Hello everybody.
>>
>> I have begun studying C++ some days ago and as many people
>> (unfortunately) I'm studying on my own. Even being a bit old(that means
>> 32 years old, :P) to begin programming
>> in yet another language and so not so much time available(job, kid and
>> so on.).
>
> Old? I'm 55 and I picked up most of C++ in 3 weekends.

What level of experience (C, other languages, different paradigms and so
on) was already in your fingers at that time, and how long ago was it?

Just out of curiosity :-)

From: neil on
Mario <m.roinuj(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everybody.
>
> I have begun studying C++ some days ago and as many people
> (unfortunately) I'm studying on my own.
> Even being a bit old(that means 32 years old, :P) to begin
> programming
> in yet another language and so not so much time available(job, kid
> and
> so on.).
>
> I'd like to propose a group of studies of C++ self-learners like
> myself.
> To go through exercises, discussions or something related.
> We can name a book to go study chapters together.
> Like get a chapter a week or so.
>
> If someone is interested in beginning studying as part of a group,
> please, drop me a line.
>
> Best regards,
> Mario
> PS: Sorry for the possible English mistakes(I am from France, ;p)

Hi Mario, you don't need a study group as you can always ask for help
here when you need it. Just work at your own pace. What book are you
using by the way?
From: Francis Glassborow on
Robert Billing wrote:
> We, the Senate of Arcturus, take note that Mario said:
>
>> Hello everybody.
>>
>> I have begun studying C++ some days ago and as many people
>> (unfortunately) I'm studying on my own. Even being a bit old(that means
>> 32 years old, :P) to begin programming
>> in yet another language and so not so much time available(job, kid and
>> so on.).
>
> Old? I'm 55 and I picked up most of C++ in 3 weekends.
With the greatest respect, I very much doubt that. You might (if you are
an experienced programmer) pick up the basics in 3 weeks (not weekends)
but I have never met anyone who has learnt most of C++ in 3 months.

Yes, if you can already program fluently you will be able to write small
programs in C++ after a few weekends but to think you know the language
after that time probably means that you do not recognise how much more
there is to learn.