From: Navigateur on
I'm a beginner but I'm determined to do this.

How, in a nutshell, do I make a driver that is automatically installed
upon plugging in 2 specific webcams, that when called upon does some
real-time vision-based detection on the images (using OpenCV, my own
code) and then exposes custom-fired events and variables based on what
is found in the detection, which can be accessed system-wide by any
application, but which does not expose the images from the cameras, or
automatically install default drivers for webcams.

In other words, a vision-based user interface.

I'm aware of UVC, and AvStream.

Any ideas for ANY part of this are welcome. I'll take all ideas you
have very seriously.

Many thanks,
From: Maxim S. Shatskih on
Just read the video stream off the camera (ANY camera) using DirectShow, and do your detection there.

--
Maxim S. Shatskih
Windows DDK MVP

From: Navigateur on
What's your recommended overall architecture for this?

How would I make the 2 specific cameras be recognized and registered
as one (specific) device? Could I still use UVC drivers + a custom KS
proxy DirectShow plug-in? For events/variables, should I use
DirectShow events, CORBA or something else? (given that I want the
events/variables to be easily available to multiple applications
running on all platforms, not only by native Windows apps).

I want to make it as simple as possible for end-users to use and for
third-party application developers to develop with. Given this, how
would you design its overall architecture?

From: Maxim S. Shatskih on
>How would I make the 2 specific cameras be recognized and registered
>as one (specific) device?

You need to design a way to merge the 2 video streams first.

Then, this "merger" should be implemented as one more DirectShow filter.

>Could I still use UVC drivers + a custom KS
>proxy DirectShow plug-in?

Yes.

>DirectShow events, CORBA

How is this related? isn't this a Linux replacement for SOAP and similar things? how is it related to video?

Surely DirectShow supports properties on filters.

--
Maxim S. Shatskih
Windows DDK MVP

From: Tim Roberts on
Navigateur <naveen.chwl(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>What's your recommended overall architecture for this?
>
>How would I make the 2 specific cameras be recognized and registered
>as one (specific) device?

You wouldn't. You would have an APPLICATION connect to those two cameras
in standard DirectShow graphs, and have the application expose services to
clients. Perhaps as a COM server, or a network server, or some other
interprocess communication stream.

>Could I still use UVC drivers + a custom KS proxy DirectShow plug-in?

Well, if you don't want to provide streaming data from these cameras, why
would you consider combining the two in KS?

Really, that's a bad idea to begin with.

>For events/variables, should I use
>DirectShow events, CORBA or something else? (given that I want the
>events/variables to be easily available to multiple applications
>running on all platforms, not only by native Windows apps).

To go cross-platform, you're pretty much locked in to sockets.
--
Tim Roberts, timr(a)probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.