From: Lewis Kapell on
Running PHP version 5.3.1, I find that if my script tries to send an
email message to an address in the local domain, and the address is
invalid, mail() throws an error:

mail(): SMTP server response: 550 5.1.1 <SAMPLE(a)SETONHOME.ORG>:
Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table

Is there a way I can configure PHP so that mail() would return false in
this case, rather than throwing an error which causes the script to die?

Our mail server is a Linux server running Postfix, if that matters.

Thank you
Lewis Kapell

From: Venkat Raman Don on
You can use PHP exception to handle it and the script will not die. Details at http://php.net/manual/en/language.exceptions.php.

Thanks,
Don.

From: Pierre Joye on
hi,

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 9:22 PM, Lewis Kapell <lkapell(a)setonhome.org> wrote:
> Running PHP version 5.3.1, I find that if my script tries to send an email
> message to an address in the local domain, and the address is invalid,
> mail() throws an error:
>
> mail(): SMTP server response: 550 5.1.1 <SAMPLE(a)SETONHOME.ORG>: Recipient
> address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table
>
> Is there a way I can configure PHP so that mail() would return false in this
> case, rather than throwing an error which causes the script to die?

The script should not die. Mail returns false (no exception are
raised) on failure and can raise warnings. These warnings can be
disable using the http://www.php.net/error_reporting ini settings
(works per directory, per script or globally per php.ini).

Cheers,
--
Pierre

From: Lewis Kapell on
After testing more carefully I see what is happening. The call to
mail() is generating a warning, and our custom error handler is trapping
that and causing the script to abort.

Thanks for setting me in the right direction.

Thank you,

Lewis Kapell
Computer Operations
Seton Home Study School