From: David on
Using LinuxMint v8.0 Helena.

Some time ago I purchased one of these scanners, after I found through
http://www.buzzard.me.uk/jonathan/scanners-usb.html that they work with
Linux, and downloaded and installed sane-backends-1.0.19 and
sane-frontends-1.0.14 as suggested. Xsane is installed, also.

However, when I clicked on XSane to launch the scanner the following error
appeared: Failed to open device 'snapscan:libusb:001:002': Invalid argument.
A search for snapscan:libusb:001:002 does not find it but a search for
libusb by itself shows that it is installed.

At that time, and this is over a year ago, I decided not to bother about it
and abandoned the idea. However, I recently came back to the problem -
after all why have a scanner sitting on the desk if it doesn't work :-).

So, I did the following:

(a) Plugged the scanner in and tried to launch it using xSane and got the
expected error message "Failed to open device 'snapscan:libusb:001:002':
Invalid argument"

(b) Searched for and found u176v046.bin on the net and downloaded and
installed it by creating a directory Snapscan in /usr/share/sane and copying
the .bin file to it.

(c) edited the file /etc/sane.d by entering the text: firmware
/usr/share/sane/snapscan/u176v046.bin and uncommenting the line
/dev/usb/scanner0 bus=usb

(d) ran xSane and the window opened. Clicked on Preview and the scanner
sprang into action - well, it made noises as if something was going to
happen - and then the xSane window closed.

(e) ran xSane again and got 'Scanning for devices" and then the error
message: Failed to open device 'snapscan:lisusb:002:00': Error during device
I/O

(f) entered the Terminal and did lusb, with the following result

zed(a)zed-desktop ~ $ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 04a5:20b0 Acer Peripherals Inc. (now BenQ Corp.) S2W
3300U/4300U
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 046d:c517 Logitech, Inc. LX710 Cordless Desktop Laser
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 05e3:0702 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB 2.0 IDE Adapter
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 03f0:2f17 Hewlett-Packard EWS 2605dn
zed(a)zed-desktop ~ $

So, the Device is there but xSane is "throwing a wobbly" :(

I have searched Google for the error and although there are numerous entries
none seem to apply to my problem.

Has anyone got this particular scanner working on their Linux system,
please? If so, how did you do it? What am I doing wrong?

What is particularly annoying is that I am trying to persuade a friend to go
over to Linux. Ran the Live CD of LinuxMint and it recognised her Canon
N650U scanner without any problem and worked flawlessly. :-(
--
David
A Bachelor is a man who never makes the same mistake once
From: Bruce Stephens on
David <zed(a)zed.net.nz> writes:

[...]

> Ran the Live CD of LinuxMint and it recognised her Canon N650U scanner
> without any problem and worked flawlessly. :-(

Does the Live CD pick up your scanner?
From: zed on
Bruce Stephens <bruce+usenet(a)cenderis.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> David <zed(a)zed.net.nz> writes:
>
> [...]
>
> > Ran the Live CD of LinuxMint and it recognised her Canon N650U scanner
> > without any problem and worked flawlessly. :-(
>
> Does the Live CD pick up your scanner?

Regrettably no :-(
--
Zed

Self-deceit is easy; what one wishes one believes is true

Pages: 1
Prev: Auto shutdown
Next: Dual boot Win 7