From: David on
I am looking for recommendations on the best backup program available.

My workstation is currently running XP PRO/SP3, but may eventually
upgrade to Windows 7, so compatability with both is a plus.

I would like the ability to mirror my main c: drive to a bootable
external drive.

I would like to be able to backup an entire internal or external drive
to a different external drive.

I do not plan on backing up to DvDs or optical disk.

Being able to backup individual directories/files would be a plus.

Compression is unimportant. My external drive is 1TB & I have 150 GB
internal capacity. I'd prefer to have a plain vanilla backup - that
is I'd be able to use Windows Explorer to view the backup & retrieve a
file if I choose.

Quality, reliability, and ease of use take precedence over cost. If I
can not accomplish what I want with one program, multiple programs are
fine.

From: Jim on
On Tue, 11 May 2010 05:18:18 -0400, David wrote:

>I am looking for recommendations on the best backup program available.
>
>My workstation is currently running XP PRO/SP3, but may eventually
>upgrade to Windows 7, so compatability with both is a plus.
>
>I would like the ability to mirror my main c: drive to a bootable
>external drive.
>
>I would like to be able to backup an entire internal or external drive
>to a different external drive.
>
>I do not plan on backing up to DvDs or optical disk.
>
>Being able to backup individual directories/files would be a plus.
>
>Compression is unimportant. My external drive is 1TB & I have 150 GB
>internal capacity. I'd prefer to have a plain vanilla backup - that
>is I'd be able to use Windows Explorer to view the backup & retrieve a
>file if I choose.
>
>Quality, reliability, and ease of use take precedence over cost. If I
>can not accomplish what I want with one program, multiple programs are
>fine.

Acronis True Image (�/$ )
Macrium Reflect (�/$)
Paragon (�/$)
Macrium and Paragon also have free software .
From: Daave on
David wrote:
> I am looking for recommendations on the best backup program available.
>
> My workstation is currently running XP PRO/SP3, but may eventually
> upgrade to Windows 7, so compatability with both is a plus.
>
> I would like the ability to mirror my main c: drive to a bootable
> external drive.
>
> I would like to be able to backup an entire internal or external drive
> to a different external drive.
>
> I do not plan on backing up to DvDs or optical disk.
>
> Being able to backup individual directories/files would be a plus.
>
> Compression is unimportant. My external drive is 1TB & I have 150 GB
> internal capacity. I'd prefer to have a plain vanilla backup - that
> is I'd be able to use Windows Explorer to view the backup & retrieve a
> file if I choose.
>
> Quality, reliability, and ease of use take precedence over cost. If I
> can not accomplish what I want with one program, multiple programs are
> fine.

If it weren't for your second paragraph, I would recommend Acronis True
Image in a heartbeat. This program creates self-contained images of the
hard drive (including incremental images) and can create bootable clones
and can also back up just data ("individual directories/files").

Actually, that program would still meet your needs. However, since you
stated you are interested in a bootable clone (at least, that was the
inference I drew), *and* if you want to be able to quickly create
subesequent (i.e., incremental) clones, Casper would be better.

Regarding individual directories/files, you would back them up to a
different drive (i.e., not the bootable clone drive). XP Pro's native
ntbackup program is fine for this if you back up to another hard drive.
Actually, Acronis is fine, too. *And* it can create clones, which is a
nice plus. What it can't do (and what Casper can) is create incremental
clones (which translates to "fast").

I think clones are better for those who cannot afford to wait the amount
of time it takes to restore an image. Since how I use a PC (mostly
casual use) doesn't require bootable clones, I am happy with Acronis.
However, if I were working on time-critical tasks (e.g., day-trading!),
I could see the value of a bootable clone.

More info:

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

http://www.fssdev.com/products/casper/smartclone.aspx

Bootom line:

If you must have an up-to-date bootable clone and if you want to create
these in the fastest way possible, go for Casper. For the individual
files/directories, use ntbackup.

If you want to image your hard drive regularly (and quickly) and also
want to back up data (and still have the option to create a bootable
clone -- just without the ability to create quicker incremental bootable
clones), go with Acronis.

From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Tue, 11 May 2010 05:18:18 -0400, David wrote:

> I am looking for recommendations on the best backup program available.
>
> My workstation is currently running XP PRO/SP3, but may eventually
> upgrade to Windows 7, so compatability with both is a plus.
>
> I would like the ability to mirror my main c: drive to a bootable
> external drive.

What do you mean by "mirror." That term is normally used just for
RAID1, which is very different from backup.

But if you just mean something like "copy," no problem.

> I would like to be able to backup an entire internal or external drive
> to a different external drive.
>
> I do not plan on backing up to DvDs or optical disk.
>
> Being able to backup individual directories/files would be a plus.
>
> Compression is unimportant. My external drive is 1TB & I have 150 GB
> internal capacity. I'd prefer to have a plain vanilla backup - that
> is I'd be able to use Windows Explorer to view the backup & retrieve a
> file if I choose.
>
> Quality, reliability, and ease of use take precedence over cost. If I
> can not accomplish what I want with one program, multiple programs are
> fine.

Acronis True Image.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: David on
Ken:

I do mean mirror, not copy.

Unless I am mistaken, when you copy one drive to another, you get the
contents of the first drive copied to the second. This means that the
contents are the same, but the location on the second drive may not be
the same.

Mirroring a drive (at least to me) means just that. Not only are the
contents copied, but the exact locations on the second drive are the
same. Mirroring, I believe, also copies the boot tracks which is
essential if the mirrored drive is to be used as a replacement boot
drive in the event c: fails.

I have an external USB hard drive. the bios on my workstation allows
the external USB drive to be bootable (assuming I read the manual
correctly). I want the c: drive to be mirrored to the external USB
hard drive so I have a functional backup hard drive in case c: fails.

David