From: bitor on

Hello to all.

I'm looking for a high quality SATA to IDE for my server that is
running linux.
Can you help me with either a link to the hardware and what chipset
should I be looking for on the PCB board. Any other information would be
greatly helpful. Also, since it will be in a sled/tray space is also a
consideration. The Backplane in my server has Promise chips for the RAID
if that helps.

From: Arno on
bitor <bitor.4arvml(a)no.email.invalid> wrote:

> Hello to all.

> I'm looking for a high quality SATA to IDE for my server that is
> running linux.
> Can you help me with either a link to the hardware and what chipset
> should I be looking for on the PCB board. Any other information would be
> greatly helpful. Also, since it will be in a sled/tray space is also a
> consideration. The Backplane in my server has Promise chips for the RAID
> if that helps.

These adapters can by definition not be "high quality", as the
whole concept is about saving money for new hardware. Better get
a native controller or new disks if you need "high quality".

That said, I had incompatibilities with each one of 5 different
adapters I tried.

Arno

--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno(a)wagner.name
----
From: larry moe 'n curly on

bitor wrote:

> I'm looking for a high quality SATA to IDE for my server that is
> running linux.

> Can you help me with either a link to the hardware and what chipset
> should I be looking for on the PCB board. Any other information would be
> greatly helpful. Also, since it will be in a sled/tray space is also a
> consideration. The Backplane in my server has Promise chips for the RAID
> if that helps.

SATA HD to IDE controller, or SATA controller to IDE HD? For the
latter, probably something with a Marvell chip (not surprising, as
some HD manufacturers use Marvell chips):

http://forums.storagereview.com/index.php/topic/28178-sata-hdd-to-pata-ide-motherboard-converters/page__p__259187__hl__marvell__fromsearch__1&#entry259187

I have a 2-way converter based on a Sun Plus chip. It worked fine
with IDE HDs, never with IDE optical drives, and with SATA HDs it
caused DMA failures and lock-ups, in anywhere from 2 minutes to 5
hours when tested with HDAT2, but it always passed MHDD's scans (IOW,
test with HDAT2)