From: Tim Wescott on
gretzteam wrote:
>> The Goertzel filter is just a bandpass filter that you run for a finite
>> amount of time. A notch filter is just your signal minus the output of
>> a bandpass filter. So a scheme that uses a Goertzel filter to
>> periodically measure amplitude and phase is _probably_ not going to work
>> as well as a notch filter.
>>
>> Besides, there are better methods than Goertzel filters if you happen to
>> be on a processor with oodles of resources compared to your problem, as
>> is often the case these days.
>>
>> --
>> Tim Wescott
>> Control system and signal processing consulting
>> www.wescottdesign.com
>>

> Hi,
> Thanks for the comments on the Goertzel filter. I agree that even if I
> could make that to work, I don't see how it could beat a simple notch
> filter.
>
> I'm actually implementing this in straight hardware where power/area is a
> concern. I would be interested in knowing if anything could better than the
> Goertzel filter in this case (let's say I was trying to 'detect' this tone
> instead of removing it).

The complexity of a Goertzel is pretty much exactly the same as the
complexity of a unity-gain bandpass or a notch. I'd use that.

If you can stand detecting harmonics of the tone, demodulate it with a
2kHz square wave. That'll catch 2kHz, 6kHz, 10kHz, etc., but
multiplying by 1 or -1 and accumulating sure doesn't use up much circuitry!

If you've got multipliers to spare, then demodulate it with a 2kHz sine
wave (and cosine wave). That'll catch _just_ 2kHz, and give you lots of
control over what you do with the result. (In fact, you could do this
instead of a PLL or a notch filter).

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
From: Dirk Bell on
On Mar 23, 6:34 pm, Tim Wescott <t...(a)seemywebsite.now> wrote:
> gretzteam wrote:
> >> The Goertzel filter is just a bandpass filter that you run for a finite
> >> amount of time.  A notch filter is just your signal minus the output of
> >> a bandpass filter.  So a scheme that uses a Goertzel filter to
> >> periodically measure amplitude and phase is _probably_ not going to work
> >> as well as a notch filter.
>
> >> Besides, there are better methods than Goertzel filters if you happen to
> >> be on a processor with oodles of resources compared to your problem, as
> >> is often the case these days.
>
> >> --
> >> Tim Wescott
> >> Control system and signal processing consulting
> >>www.wescottdesign.com
>
> > Hi,
> > Thanks for the comments on the Goertzel filter. I agree that even if I
> > could make that to work, I don't see how it could beat a simple notch
> > filter.
>
> > I'm actually implementing this in straight hardware where power/area is a
> > concern. I would be interested in knowing if anything could better than the
> > Goertzel filter in this case (let's say I was trying to 'detect' this tone
> > instead of removing it).
>
> The complexity of a Goertzel is pretty much exactly the same as the
> complexity of a unity-gain bandpass or a notch.  I'd use that.
>
> If you can stand detecting harmonics of the tone, demodulate it with a
> 2kHz square wave.  That'll catch 2kHz, 6kHz, 10kHz, etc., but
> multiplying by 1 or -1 and accumulating sure doesn't use up much circuitry!
>
> If you've got multipliers to spare, then demodulate it with a 2kHz sine
> wave (and cosine wave).  That'll catch _just_ 2kHz, and give you lots of
> control over what you do with the result.  (In fact, you could do this
> instead of a PLL or a notch filter).
>
> --
> Tim Wescott
> Control system and signal processing consultingwww.wescottdesign.com- Hide quoted text -

Has the OP stated to what extent it is important to preserve the
signal around 2 KHz or below it?

Dirk
From: Tim Wescott on
Dirk Bell wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> Thanks for the comments on the Goertzel filter. I agree that even if I
>>> could make that to work, I don't see how it could beat a simple notch
>>> filter.
>>> I'm actually implementing this in straight hardware where power/area is a
>>> concern. I would be interested in knowing if anything could better than the
>>> Goertzel filter in this case (let's say I was trying to 'detect' this tone
>>> instead of removing it).
>> The complexity of a Goertzel is pretty much exactly the same as the
>> complexity of a unity-gain bandpass or a notch. I'd use that.
>>
>> If you can stand detecting harmonics of the tone, demodulate it with a
>> 2kHz square wave. That'll catch 2kHz, 6kHz, 10kHz, etc., but
>> multiplying by 1 or -1 and accumulating sure doesn't use up much circuitry!
>>
>> If you've got multipliers to spare, then demodulate it with a 2kHz sine
>> wave (and cosine wave). That'll catch _just_ 2kHz, and give you lots of
>> control over what you do with the result. (In fact, you could do this
>> instead of a PLL or a notch filter).
>>
>> --
>> Tim Wescott
>> Control system and signal processing consultingwww.wescottdesign.com- Hide quoted text -

> Has the OP stated to what extent it is important to preserve the
> signal around 2 KHz or below it?

Nope.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
gretzteam <gretzteam(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm having problem getting rid of a 2kHz sine wave from a digitized signal
> at 128kHz. I do know the exact frequency of the 2kHz (I generate it in the
> first place with a DDS), but the phase/amplitude are unknown (it goes
> through DAC->ADC.

> Now, there seems to be two approach to do this, and I don't know
> what would be best.

The best way is to stop generating it in the first place.
You don't mention that, so I am suggesting it here. Maybe there
is a reason to generate it, or maybe not...

-- glen
From: Vladimir Vassilevsky on

glen herrmannsfeldt wrote:

> gretzteam <gretzteam(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>I'm having problem getting rid of a 2kHz sine wave from a digitized signal
>>at 128kHz. I do know the exact frequency of the 2kHz (I generate it in the
>>first place with a DDS), but the phase/amplitude are unknown (it goes
>>through DAC->ADC.
>

>>Now, there seems to be two approach to do this, and I don't know
>>what would be best.
>

> The best way is to stop generating it in the first place.
> You don't mention that, so I am suggesting it here. Maybe there
> is a reason to generate it, or maybe not...

The 2kHz is exact fraction of 128kHz by exact binary ratio of 64. So
generating and using it is not a very good idea anyway.

Vladimir Vassilevsky
DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant
http://www.abvolt.com

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: How to rapidly read a Pole-Zero Diagram?
Next: ofdm:cdma