From: gretzteam on
Hi,
I'm having problem getting rid of a 2kHz sine wave from a digitized signal
at 128kHz. I do know the exact frequency of the 2kHz (I generate it in the
first place with a DDS), but the phase/amplitude are unknown (it goes
through DAC->ADC.

Now, there seems to be two approach to do this, and I don't know what would
be best.

1) Simple IIR 2nd order notch filter. I can center the notch at exactly
2kHz. It gets trick when quantizing the coefficients but it seems doable to
get 60dB with 14 bits. The problem is that the notch has to be very narrow
to avoid huge ringing in the step response.
Is there a way to improve the step response here?

2) Use some kind of adaptive scheme to find out the 2kHz sine/cosine
component in the incoming signal and remove it. I wouldn't know where to
start with such an approach. Can anyone elaborate on what the time domain
response would be when compared to the simple notch?

This is all real time.

Thanks!
From: Clay on
On Mar 23, 9:41 am, "gretzteam" <gretzteam(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.yahoo.com>
wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm having problem getting rid of a 2kHz sine wave from a digitized signal
> at 128kHz. I do know the exact frequency of the 2kHz (I generate it in the
> first place with a DDS), but the phase/amplitude are unknown (it goes
> through DAC->ADC.
>
> Now, there seems to be two approach to do this, and I don't know what would
> be best.
>
> 1) Simple IIR 2nd order notch filter. I can center the notch at exactly
> 2kHz. It gets trick when quantizing the coefficients but it seems doable to
> get 60dB with 14 bits. The problem is that the notch has to be very narrow
> to avoid huge ringing in the step response.
> Is there a way to improve the step response here?
>
> 2) Use some kind of adaptive scheme to find out the 2kHz sine/cosine
> component in the incoming signal and remove it. I wouldn't know where to
> start with such an approach. Can anyone elaborate on what the time domain
> response would be when compared to the simple notch?
>
> This is all real time.
>
> Thanks!

The notch approach is simplest but instead of trying it with a single
very high "q" 2nd order filter, just cascade several lower "q" 2nd
order filters in series.

IHTH,
Clay
From: gretzteam on

>The notch approach is simplest but instead of trying it with a single
>very high "q" 2nd order filter, just cascade several lower "q" 2nd
>order filters in series.
>
>IHTH,
>Clay

Hi,
Are you saying a few even narrower notch in series with slightly different
center frequency?

Thanks!
From: rickman on
wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm having problem getting rid of a 2kHz sine wave from a digitized signal
> at 128kHz. I do know the exact frequency of the 2kHz (I generate it in the
> first place with a DDS), but the phase/amplitude are unknown (it goes
> through DAC->ADC.
>
> Now, there seems to be two approach to do this, and I don't know what would
> be best.
>
> 1) Simple IIR 2nd order notch filter. I can center the notch at exactly
> 2kHz. It gets trick when quantizing the coefficients but it seems doable to
> get 60dB with 14 bits. The problem is that the notch has to be very narrow
> to avoid huge ringing in the step response.
> Is there a way to improve the step response here?
>
> 2) Use some kind of adaptive scheme to find out the 2kHz sine/cosine
> component in the incoming signal and remove it. I wouldn't know where to
> start with such an approach. Can anyone elaborate on what the time domain
> response would be when compared to the simple notch?
>
> This is all real time.
>
> Thanks!

60 dB sounds pretty aggressive for a subtraction scheme, but it may be
possible. You need to use a PLL to generate a 2 kHz sine wave in
phase with your incoming signal (better, use your original source).
By using a LPF with a very low cutoff in the PLL, it will not respond
to transient components in your desired signal. You need then to
measure the amplitude of the interfering tone. Then you can subtract
the output of the PLL with the appropriate amplitude. If it is
constant, you can adjust the level of the subtracted tone until you
optimize the result. Otherwise you will need a narrow band pass to
measure it in real time.

I can't say that you will get 60 dB of attenuation. That would mean
you have to match the phase very accurately and match the subtracted
tone amplitude to the interfering tone to at least an accuracy of
0.1%. Think you are up to that?

Rick
From: Tim Wescott on
gretzteam wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm having problem getting rid of a 2kHz sine wave from a digitized signal
> at 128kHz. I do know the exact frequency of the 2kHz (I generate it in the
> first place with a DDS), but the phase/amplitude are unknown (it goes
> through DAC->ADC.
>
> Now, there seems to be two approach to do this, and I don't know what would
> be best.
>
> 1) Simple IIR 2nd order notch filter. I can center the notch at exactly
> 2kHz. It gets trick when quantizing the coefficients but it seems doable to
> get 60dB with 14 bits. The problem is that the notch has to be very narrow
> to avoid huge ringing in the step response.
> Is there a way to improve the step response here?

The widest possible notch filter has a denominator of z^2, and will only
'ring' for two steps -- but it may be a bit too wide for you. You could
play with longer, narrower FIR notch filters, if you don't mind their
"FIR"-ness.

Like Clay said -- multiple, lower-Q (wider) filters in cascade will
probably help. This would approach the performance of the
above-mentioned FIR notch, with all the attendant complications of using
an IIR filter.

If it makes sense, you could use a notch filter whose gains can be
switched -- make it wide to acquire the tone, then narrow it up as time
goes by to avoid the ringing on a step.

This is a good place to use a Kalman filter* in fact, or to start by
designing a Kalman filter to take out the tone, then treat it as a
probably-too-complicated time-varying filter that you then simplify to
your desires and needs.

For that matter, you could make your time-varying filter adaptive, by
sensing when seriously mis-estimating the tone. This is a minefield,
because distinguishing between a badly-estimated tone and noise gets
iffy, but depending on your requirements it may be a necessary one.

> 2) Use some kind of adaptive scheme to find out the 2kHz sine/cosine
> component in the incoming signal and remove it. I wouldn't know where to
> start with such an approach. Can anyone elaborate on what the time domain
> response would be when compared to the simple notch?

a: Lock onto the tone with a PLL. If you know the frequency _exactly_
then you just need to find phase and amplitude; if there is much phase
uncertainty then you'll need to adjust frequency as well. Done right
this is going to end up behaving an awful lot like a notch filter, so
there's really only a tactical gain here -- if the PLL solution with all
its decorations is easier for you to understand and explain in your
documentation than the notch filter, that's the way to go.

a1: The PLL can be made to be time varying easier than the Kalman can,
ditto with adaptive.

a2: The PLL approach will probably be more complex than the IIR notch
approach, but if the code is more clear...

* If you search through the group you'll see me stomping on the notion
of a Kalman filter as grasping for a magic solution -- so you know I
must be serious here!

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: How to rapidly read a Pole-Zero Diagram?
Next: ofdm:cdma