From: nmm1 on
In article <u1vddue17.fsf(a)harrekilde.dk>,
Kai Harrekilde-Petersen <khp(a)harrekilde.dk> wrote:

>Try the <1mW range for a hearing aid system, including A/D microphones
>and all. They run on ZnAir batteries, since the give the highest
>energy density, but output 1.1-13V, but only ~1mA sustained.
>
>Oh, and you have a limited volume available (mm^3) since you need to
>be able to place it inside the ear canal, together with a battery,
>microphone, and a speaker.

Well, not mine, because my hearing is too bad for that, but your
point stands.

It amuses me that each of my hearing aids has 6 cores running at
20 MIPS, where the first computer I used had one processor with
a 60 microsecond cycle time. And it took up a large chunk of a
Nissen hut :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
From: Piotr Wyderski on
nedbrek wrote:

> It should be a lot easier to get (at least) two different designs - one
> ultra lowe power (which sacrifices perf), one with good perf for more
> power (but not crazy power).
>
> Intel has finally achieved this with Atom and Core.

It's hard to call Atom an ultra low power CPU compared to ARM-based SoCs.

Best regards
Piotr Wyderski

From: ned on
Piotr Wyderski wrote:

> nedbrek wrote:
>
>> It should be a lot easier to get (at least) two different designs - one
>> ultra lowe power (which sacrifices perf), one with good perf for more
>> power (but not crazy power).
>>
>> Intel has finally achieved this with Atom and Core.
>
> It's hard to call Atom an ultra low power CPU compared to ARM-based SoCs.

I guess I'm showing my age...

When Itanium first shipped, it was 130 W. Itanium II was the same. I
felt, that if Itanium were to compete against the 200+ W (aptly
named) Power parts from IBM, it would need similar power budget.

We are now in an age where a 30 W laptop part is "high power" (scaling
to 60 or 100 W).

In my perfect world, "high power" would be ~100 W (scaling up to 200 to
compete against IBM, and coming down to 60 for desktop types [including
"desktop replacement" laptops]).

"Low power" would be ~10 W. Filling the whole laptop space (5W-60W).
Anything below that is "ultra low" aka "Not interesting" :)

Ned

From: Andy 'Krazy' Glew on
On 5/19/2010 4:35 AM, ned wrote:
> Piotr Wyderski wrote:
>
>> nedbrek wrote:

> "Low power" would be ~10 W. Filling the whole laptop space (5W-60W).
> Anything below that is "ultra low" aka "Not interesting" :)

We share a common interest in advanced microarchitecture, Ed,
but we differ greatly wrt low or ultra low power.

Not interesting????

I want to work on the computers that will run my contact lens displays. They gotta be low power. (Unless you want to
extract circa 10W from the body somehow - buy our wearable computer system and lose weight!)
From: MitchAlsup on
On May 19, 6:35 am, ned <nedb...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Piotr Wyderski wrote:
> > nedbrek wrote:
> I guess I'm showing my age...
>
> When Itanium first shipped, it was 130 W.  Itanium II was the same.  I
> felt, that if Itanium were to compete against the 200+ W (aptly
> named) Power parts from IBM, it would need similar power budget.
>
> We are now in an age where a 30 W laptop part is "high power" (scaling
> to 60 or 100 W).

Heck, I remember when high power was 300KVA.

> "Low power" would be ~10 W.  Filling the whole laptop space (5W-60W).
> Anything below that is "ultra low" aka "Not interesting" :)

How about a sub 1W part so your laptop has enough energy in the
battery to be left on all day long, and the only part needing power
throttling is the display.

Mitch