From: Tom Lake on
The Dell XPS 435T/9000 (what a name!) has a 475 W
power supply. Does it use standard connectors? I'd like to
be able to replace it with a beefier PS but not if I'd have to
mess with the wiring.

Thanks for any info you can give!

Tom Lake
From: Tom Scales on
Don't forget that a Dell 475W isn't an industry 475W. Everyone else
measures peak. Dell measures sustained.

I've never felt the need to upgrade power supplies. Heck, my XPS400 has
6 hard drives internal.

From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> The Dell XPS 435T/9000 (what a name!) has a 475 W
> power supply.  Does it use standard connectors?

Yes, it's a conventional ATX power supply.

Dell has traditionally used very robust power supplies that will
reliably deliver more current that the nameplate specifications would
suggest. However, some of their newer systems have cheaped out a bit.
The lower end Inspiron desktops are known to contain Bestec supplies,
which are of somewhat dubious quality.

If you want to upgrade the supply anyway, don't cheap out. Whenever
the application calls for anything more than a 550 watt power supply,
I use only two sources: PC Power and Cooling or Enlight.

PC Power and Cooling's products aren't as cheap as their competition,
but they are very solidly built.

William
From: powrwrap on
On Dec 9, 8:01 am, "Tom Lake" <tl...(a)twcny.rr.com> wrote:
> The Dell XPS 435T/9000 (what a name!) has a 475 W
> power supply.  Does it use standard connectors?  I'd like to
> be able to replace it with a beefier PS but not if I'd have to
> mess with the wiring.
>
> Thanks for any info you can give!
>
> Tom Lake

I can't imagine needing more than a 475w power supply. In fact, isn't
that one of the selling points of the 435T/9000--that it has an
overbuilt power supply? What the heck are you going to put inside that
cavernous box? Or are you just wondering in case the supply blows in a
couple of years?

From: Tom Lake on

"powrwrap" <powrwrap(a)aol.com> wrote in message
> On Dec 9, 8:01 am, "Tom Lake" <tl...(a)twcny.rr.com> wrote:
>> The Dell XPS 435T/9000 (what a name!) has a 475 W
>> power supply. Does it use standard connectors? I'd like to
>> be able to replace it with a beefier PS but not if I'd have to
>> mess with the wiring.
>>
>> Thanks for any info you can give!
>>
>> Tom Lake
>
> I can't imagine needing more than a 475w power supply. In fact, isn't
> that one of the selling points of the 435T/9000--that it has an
> overbuilt power supply? What the heck are you going to put inside that
> cavernous box? Or are you just wondering in case the supply blows in a
> couple of years?

Some of the Nvidia graphics cards recommend a 500W or better supply.
I'd rather err on the side of overkill than have the system spontaneously
reboot and exhibit other mysterious symptoms of an inadequate PS! 8^)
I've heard a lot depends on the 12v rail. It should be a minimum of 26W for
Nvidia's mid-range cards.

Tom Lake